Amlodipine coughing and sneezing?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Having taken ramipril and losartan previously and had coughing, sneezing etc., I expected to be ok with amlodipine.

No chance. Despite these side-effects being very rare, I managed to be one of the few to get a seriously sore throat and nasal cavity and eventually could hardly breathe.

I'm now about to find out whether beta-blockers will do the same thing. I wouldn't bother but I have to have surgery and they won't do it unless I comply with this stuff.

Anyone else had these problems?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Oh yes! I am very sensitive to most drugs including the ones you mentioned. The only drug I am not sensitive is Indapamide and this was increased to 5mg in an effort to reduce my BP so I could pass for surgery - and it worked!

I have battled for years to persuade doctors that I am not being awkward that I really am not able to tolerate these. Even beta blockers I have to cut the lowest dose possible in half to be able to tolerate them.

• Posted

My husband was on amlodipine and he too developed a cough and had chronic sinus issues - we didnt realise it was the meds until an acquaintance said he had the same issues and realised it was the meds.This side effect isnt as rare as they would have you believe. There are meds to help with the cough etc. My husband recently had a heart attack and has multiple blockages in the LAD and has to have bypass surgery. They have swapped him to beta blockers prior to the surgery. He's not doing well on them as they have their own side effects and his BP is up and down like a yoyo. They arent as good at relieving the angina symptoms he now has either. Our experience has not been a good one as for the last year my husband's increasing symptoms and problems have been largely ignored until he suffered the episode and finally had an angiogram. I guess you have to follow the 'experts' advice pre-surgery but only you can know what your body is telling you. Dont let anyone be dismissive of side effects - the docs all put it down to the nocebo effect but some of these side effects can be horrendous and also damaging to health. For example, my husband has developed diabetes, purely as a result of the meds he is on - it is fact that drugs that treat high blood pressure, such as beta-blockers and thiazide diuretics, also the statins to lower cholesterol. Now he has diabetes he is at much higher risk of a further heart episode and the surgery will be much more high risk also. He does not have any lifestyle indicators for elevated glucose levels and his blood sugar was normal until his meds were increased. Try the beta blockers and see if it helps. Good luck for the surgery.

• Posted

Thanks for all your replies everyone - I'm glad I'm not the only one who has had problems with this.

The latest twist in my story is that, since stopping amlodipine (again) and starting beta blockers, I have come down with a really terrible cold.

The trouble is, this seemed to happen the last time I changed meds from one to another (only a couple of weeks ago). I don't know what the heck is going on - is this due to the medication or is it just a coincidence that I keep on catching colds.

I'm going out of my mind. Why is my body so messed up? Maybe I should just quit and forget about the surgery.

• Posted

I really sympathise - I appreciate that some of these meds are absolutely essential to safeguard us but I get so angry that doctors just dont seem to want to accept that the toxic effects are very real and cause major health problems unrelated to the original problem. If you need surgery please dont be put off because of meds issues, just keep pushing for them to review what you are on and try to find ones that have less side effects etc. It's often a Catch 22 situation, as with my hubby - if he doesnt take the meds he's at risk of another heart attack but if he continues with the high levels he's on, his health is being massively compromised. He has now developed real problems with his muscles and feet - possibly due to the statins but we keep hitting a brick wall trying to get anyone to admit it's the meds causing his problems and not poor lifestyle choices - he's a non smoker, non drinker and vegetarian. Nothing he does or eats has caused these problems. The heart disease is hereditary and all the other problems including the diabetes are directly as a result of the medications prescribed. I just wish they'd stop criticising and be more honest about these issues.

• Posted

I believe the doctors truly don't know all the side effects these meds have. Nor do I believe that they take the time to see how the side effects can interact with an individuals conditions. I always talk to my pharmacist about a med question. They seem to know more about drug interactions than the doctors.

• Posted

Hi loxie Substance P , yes i know . i don't know what that is . strange name Substance p.& no idea what it is or what it does .

• Posted

I was put on amlodipine a month ago. it is my 4th blood pressure med I have been on. My list includes Losartan, Metoprolol, Lisinopril and now Amlodipine. Each one had a side effect I wasn't willing to live with. Let's face it BP meds are long term. Lisinopril was working and I took it the longest, but after they increased the dosage the coughing became unbearable. When they put me on amlodipine I felt really good, but when I went for a BP check 3 weeks later my BP was still up and they increased my dose. When they did I developed ringing in my ears, pain in my right ear and pain in the right side of my head. I'm miserable. It doesn't go away. it's always there. Drinking a cup of coffee and/or taking advil lessen the discomfort. but still there. I made an appointment with an ENT dr for next week hoping for answers. I understand that amlodipine is ototoxic, and having ear problems in the past, I don't want to take any chances. Anyone else have ear ringing or other issues similar?

• Posted

Hi lute,yes me had grommets put in to clear etruscan tube , polyps in nose removed. plus a dry mouth then lost all my teeth, due to no salivar . , my latest find any of the Prils can increase Histamine .plus pulmonary hypertension.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.