Amlodipine discussion

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been on the amlodipine forum for a few months now. Not entirely sure how I got here, as I don't take it myself, nor does anyone I know. Perhaps I followed another poster from the general hypertension forum. I'm on that one, and will stay there, because my BP is creeping up a bit with age.

I'm very glad I did come on here, as I've learned that amlodipine doesn't suit everyone, and can even cause severe health problems in some cases. If, or almost certainly when, the time comes for me to go on BP meds I'll know not to take amlodipine or its close relative felodipine, and to be a bit leery of calcium-channel blockers in general.

Just before bowing out, which I'll do in the next couple of days, I'd like to remind people once more that it's not illegal to attempt to engage your doctor in dialogue about your treatment - though I know some UK GPs act like it is! - and you can easily look up the side-effects of medications on-line these days.

I'm a former nurse (10 years in the NHS, a looong time ago!) so I know all about some doctors' attitudes. However, they're not our masters or our parents, and it's not fair to expect them to be infallible. We, as patients, have a perfect right to ask questions and express our own views. After all, it's your body! If you call in a builder to do major work on your house and you're not convinced there's no alternative to what he's telling you needs to be done, I'm sure you don't meekly accept his word. It shouldn't be any different with your doctor.

I'm not badmouthing amlodipine. I know it suits some people very well. Obviously they're not going to come on a forum like this one, which is far more likely to attract the people having problems with it. All I'm saying is be aware of the side-effects of any medication you're taking (whether it's for BP or not) and don't allow yourself to be bullied or frightened by your doctor into any course of treatment you're not happy about.

I'll be out of here in a couple of days, then I'll stop haranguing people!razz

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lily

I was put on Amlodopine 2 yrs ago as blood pressure creeping up especially at the surgery!! I was very worried about taking it after hearing about all the horrid side affects. I can only speak for myself but since taking it I have not had any side affects at all.Recently they added Perindoprol and I thought here we go!and again no side affects. Every day I check for swollen ankles,do I have a headache? am I dizzy? do I feel tired and ache? am I coughing?but nothing. Reading all the posts I just feel I am one of the lucky ones and I feel desperately sorry for all the people that it does affect so badly. But it does go to show that not everyone does suffer these horrendous side-effects which may be some consolation for anyone about to go on it. I agree with you not to be bullied by your Dr they are not God! And if you are not happy ask for a second opinion. Best wishes. Angela

• Posted

Thanks Lily,

Good advice and information, i do and intend to take my symptoms up with my GP and Consultant.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.