Amlodipine - Gastric problems?

Posted , 39 users are following.

Having been stunned by the number of bad experiences folk have had taking Amlodipine I feel the need to make my own contribution.

Two months ago I had Amlodipine added to my current prescription of Irbesartan and Bendroflumethiazide to counteract my raised blood pressure, usually around 110/99. Certainly the Amlodipine made an immediate impact in bringing down my bp to around 120/78 but withing 4 weeks of atking the daily 5mg dose I've developed very uncomfortable gastric problems with the most noticeable side effect being lots of late evening flatulence which is usually more than just wind if you get my drift! I feel my bowel grumbling away, my stomach makes all sorts of noises and my appetite has gone. I only have to eat a couple of slices of toast and I feel like I've stuffed down a huge 3-course meal; bloated and with an uncomfortable feeling. As with many other folk here my Doctor looks at me disbelievingly when I explain what's changed with me but I know my own body and I know when something's not right.

No-one else appears to have reported gastric problems with Amlodipine - is it just me?

3 likes, 41 replies

41 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Its not just you!

Lately I've become very bloated and my feet also have started to swell at night.

10mg per day for about two months and this just started.

I'm fasting now and feel the same way.

Now what do I do?

• Posted

Its not just you!

Lately I've become very bloated and my feet also have started to swell at night.

Now what do I do?

• Posted

Its not just you!

Now what do I do?

• Posted

hi , this just me and my thoughts , i am convinced Amlodipine causes crohn's disease ,so your stomach problems just might be the Amlodipine , me i get burning ears bullous spots , spots in my head , itchy head ,edema in ankles, dry mouth ,then drink copious amounts of tea ,so pee very lot due to water tablet ,you have to take to combat the buildup of fluid that Amlodipine causes , then in my head think i must be losing electrolytes due to peeing , over the years of taking these blood pressure meds , been hospitalized 3 times due to dehydration , oh and tumour in salivary glands due to dry mouth (but been cut out) , but docs say they keep on taking the Lodi , we will deal with each problem as they arrive. me about to try K2 . you been on yellow card scheme ,

• Posted

yes I have been taking Amlodipine for about two months and during that time I have developed really bad acid reflux. i have searched the web and there are a few scientific papers that have shown a definite link between Amlodipine and acid reflux! I have an appointment on Monday to,ask the GP to change my tablets.

• Posted

OMG I'm in shock! I've been having terrible abdominal pain for months! I'm now being seen by GI and I'm taking three different prescriptions to help with this pain and nothing is working. I had an Upper endoscopy along with a Colonoscopy last Friday and they found slight irritation in my stomach. I'm so upset right now. Why would my PCP not mention this when I saw her for the abdominal pain? Should she not have known that this was a side effect? Wow!!!!!

• Posted

I have been on amlodipine for about 2 months now for very high BP. At first I was thrilled because 5mg controlled my BP very well and I had minimal side effects, just a little shoulder pain. But soon I noticed that I was gaining weight, despite eating less and less. I lost my appetite.. I never had so much as indigestion in my life before. Then the awful liver/intestinal problems started. Pain in liver, flatulence, diarrhea, all day gut pain...my digestive system reacted to everything as though it was poison. I could no longer eat or sleep, and would have to go to the bathroom constantly in the night to avoid soiling myself. I weaned myself off, and felt better within 24 hours of stopping it. I am so relieved. That stuff was killing me. I also lost three pounds almost immediately. But now I have to find some other drug to control the BP.

• Posted

yes, i experinced GERD symptoms while actively taking 10mg of amlodipine. i am 5 days off this horrible drug after 4 months of torture. i had upper back pain and left sided chest pains so bad i ended up in urgent care. chest xrays were normal. i started mylanta then things became worse and i ended up with PVCs that are benign on EKG.

do not take this medicine, ask for something else. im 33 years old, my only issue was high blood pressure and now things are worse. i dont drink or smoke

• Posted

awful medications and wrote to Teva about it. had diahrea repeatedly.....New Dr took me off this medication in 2015 and all went back to normal

• Posted

so glad to find this thread. I've been on amlodipine for a year - started with 5mg and noticed the odd occurence of loose stools and gripes. 2 months ago was put on 10mg and the last 2 weeks I've had pretty much non stop diarrea and cramps. last night I had enough- I don't want to eat anything and I feel terrible. I stopped taking the tablet last night and at least had a better night's sleep. still gripey and had the runs this morning. How long does it take for this to go away?

I appreciate this is a thread from 10 years ago but can anyone give me some info on the above ?

many thanks.

• Edited

no you aren't the only one sweetie I suffer with gastritis also while taking this medicine it don't happen until I take it sometimes I skip does when I get bloated it hurt so bad I cant walk nothing my husband massage me from the back holding my stomach 30 minutes it released and I have to take gas x I am done with that medication I take garlic pills I am a vegan and I exercise 30 min a day it helps keep my bp down to normal it also had me urinating more then ever that medicine need to be banned. 🚫

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.