Amlodipine gastric problems?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I have been on Amlodipine 10mg for 8 months to manage my BP (M47). It has done a great job and bringing it down.

However, a month or so ago I started developing stomach cramps, dull pain - in different areas, not a specific spot. I also had looser stools, massive amounts of wind, nausea, etc - this is on-going

Obviously 'Doctor Google' has told me I have Colon Cancer! I have spoken to my GP, who has referred me for further tests.

However, I am trying to find some reassurance that my gastric troubles could be related to Amplodipine - I have read many reviews where people are having the same issues?

Very stressed..........

Thank you

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

People will blame anything on amlodipine and who knows, they may be right.

I don't think you need to jump to colon cancer yet, LOL. What have you been eating?

Many people are fine with amlodipine, my own brother is fine with it, but I'm not.

There are dozens of alternative BP meds you can try, starting with just cutting down the dosage on the amlodipine, but know that it takes a week or so to clear out of your body when you've been on it for a while.

• Posted

I agree with jx41870.

If you've been on the drug for months without these side effects, let your doctor advise you as to the possible variables involved. It's far too easy to blame a specific drug for all of our ills, and I did that with amolodipine for a long time. I've been on it for more than two years now, the max dose, and it's doing fine with my BP readings and I have found (and corrected) all of the symptoms I thought were related to taking it. Apart from the initial shock to my body when I started and my BP dropped so low I fell down trying to get of my horse, I really can't attach any of my other symptoms to the drug.

Again, let your doctor guide you, and don't write off cancer! I did, and nearly missed the diagnosis. I was so focused on things like drug side effects and my bad back that it never occurred to me that I was having a reocurrence of cancer from 13 years ago. Rule it out before you mentally rule it out. I'm in mid chemo now, and haven't felt this good for years!

• Posted

Thank you 😃

• Posted

yes, i experienced a lot of gastric problems when I was taking amlodiphine. The physician prescribed an antacid that help a little but eventually my discomfort was so extreme that I ask to change it. My gastric pains and problem went away now that I am no longer taking it. I also changed my diet which has helped.

• Posted

KEITH, I am going through the same thing i take immodium multi symptom and it does help but im actively reducing the amount of amlodopine i take by cutting the pill in half. My gastric problems are improving since reducing the dosage. To maintain my bp i started drinking 3 cups of hibiscus tea daily and running 2-4 miles every other day . My bp has actually improved .

• Posted

Yes had the same and has yet to improve..

• Posted

I had severe heartburn while I was on Amlodipine and I know for a fact it was that because I can count on one hand the amount of times Ive had heartburn in my life! I stopped taking Amlo due to its awful side effects. While I feel mostly myself now, it seems I permanent Acid Reflux, heartburn, GERD, again all of which I never had until I took this medication. On top of that, it seems I have become overly sensitive to anything I take, my whole disgestive tract is completely messed up! I get chest pain which is a burning feeling and constantly have to clear my throat. I am so upset that I was prescribed this when I dont even think I needed BP meds as I have white coat syndrome. My BP has been fine off the meds, always below 120/80! This stuff ruined everything!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.