Amlodipine Gastroparesis Symptoms??

Posted , 2 users are following.

My 48 year old husband has been very ill for the past four weeks. He is presenting with constipation, severe abdominal pain that migrates to his sides and back. He has severe bloating causing intense pain, and a sensation of terrible fullness with the smallest of meals. The pain is often worse directly after eating.

In the past few weeks, he has had a colonoscopy, a gastroscope, an endoscopic ultrasound, multiple CT scans, stomach biopsy and liver biopsy. He has a history of Hodgkin's Lymphoma, so cancer is very much on the radar for us.

We are still waiting for biopsy results, but all of the scans were clear - colonoscopy, gastroscope and endoscopic ultrasound. The pain is terrible. He cannot function. He is about to go on short term disability from work, even though we don't have a diagnosis. The doctors have recommended Advil and told us to "sit tight" as we wait for the biopsy results.

It too me quite a bit to find this forum, and I am appalled at the prevalence of side effects from Amlodipine. My husband is on a 10 mg prescription for Amlodipine and has been for 6 years - since his cancer back in 2015.

Looking back now, I can see that these symptoms have been present since his cancer, but in a much milder form. We thought these were just fallout symptoms we would have to live with as a result of his previous cancer. But in the last few weeks, the symptoms have escalated to crisis mode.

I am horrified. Obviously, this is no guarantee that Amlodipine has definitely caused his current situation, but there's one too many coincidences based on the symptoms so many others have reported on this forum! I'm hoping against hope that this is reversible.

I am not going to give him any more of these pills. I'm calling the doctor or pharmacist tomorrow to find an alternative BP medication. I know it will take a couple of weeks for it to get out of his system, and am hoping like hell it won't be too hard on him.

Oh, and one more interesting thing. A few months ago, he started to experience mild pain in his feet. When he asked the doctor about it, he said it was likely gout, and prescribed him Allipurinol. Guess what? That's another possible side effect of calcium channel blockers!

Any advice or support is appreciated - thank you for taking the time to read this 😊

A worried wife

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi. I was sad to read about your husband. His symptoms are certainly very similar to those mentioned by so many others on this forum. My earlier posts detail how I've been affected by Amolidipine and I'm still struggling since stopping taking it 37 days ago.

I hope, like me, you find reassurance in reading the posts on here. I also hope your husband begins to find relief from the symptoms once he stops taking this drug.

Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.