Amlodipine getting me down

Posted , 2 users are following.

My GP put me on 5mg of Amlodipine for high blood pressure after two weeks he increased it to 10 mg. blood tests said I have a kidney problem and low active thyroid, about three months down the line I get tired half way through the day,thirsty all the time I feel weak and sometimes really down in my self so much so I just dont want to do anything. I cant grip properly with my right hand and drop things,a bit dizzy and wobbly as if ive had a few.I have to get up a 3 to fours times in the night to use the bathroom which is getting me down. I find it very hard to get to sleep and no sex drive,My GP says come and see him in six months time. Has anyone got an answer for what I can do about these side affects as there must be others with similar problems?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi I can relate to you. This med is a nightmare you really do start questioning yourself if there is something more wrong with you, which then in turn creates an impact on your general health. My right hand is also weak and apart from dropping things I've had to invest in a bottle opener. No wonder we feel tired as you said during the night it's a constant run to the bathroom which was never me. I am only 50 and was in generally good health but this past year on Amloipine I feel 100. I am off to my GP tomorrow with alot of this info. Will keep you informed.
  • Posted

Hi I can relate to you. This med is a nightmare you really do start questioning yourself if there is something more wrong with you, which then in turn creates an impact on your general health. My right hand is also weak and apart from dropping things I've had to invest in a bottle opener. No wonder we feel tired as you said during the night it's a constant run to the bathroom which was never me. I am only 50 and was in generally good health but this past year on Amloipine I feel 100. I am off to my GP tomorrow with alot of this info. Will keep you informed.
  • Posted

[quote:fca5e53cf9=\"jayne mc \"]oh my! cant believe what you have said. My right arm FOR 4wks now is aching so bad. i cant grip or lift anything. even just lifting a cup hurts. me too keeps on thinking there is SOMETHING REALLY WRONG WITH ME. i am so down and worried. Are you tired also? I am so tired find everyday tasks hard. sorry if all this sound jumbled, but i feel really tired writng this at this moment please reply to tell if you feel the same iam 47yrs old and also feel 77. Been on this drug only since Feb. this year ( 2010)[/quote:fca5e53cf9]
  • Posted

[b:d23509c4e1]OH yes i can relate to you been takeing this stupid drug for a month now and suddenly my life has changed, got swollen ankles worst of all severe chest pains, looked up the side effects and it seems i have nearly all, feel worried and scared as you think whats going to happen next,well going to see doc tomorrow and go back to taking ramipril, have a toddler and can not enjoy life with him [/b:d23509c4e1]
  • Posted

Janey believe me what people are saying on this site is so true, you ask yourself how can I have so many side effects from 1 tab. I went back to my GP and asked to try another bp tab so I have gone back on Ramipril. Yes there is still some side effects but not as severe. Go back and see your GP again armed with some of this information. Keep me updated.
  • Posted

I could not agree more. I am so tired I cannot function. I am exhausted since I went on this drug. I am having blood work done this week and I am hoping everything else is ok and then I can be sure it is the

Amlodipine. I will then be able to tell my cardioligist that I want to take something else. Although I am taking Ramipiril,Atenolol and Furosimide. I guess maybe this combination is just overwhelming for me.

• Posted

[quote:64411a9862=\"yazmin\"][b:64411a9862]OH yes i can relate to you been takeing this stupid drug for a month now and suddenly my life has changed, got swollen ankles worst of all severe chest pains, looked up the side effects and it seems i have nearly all, feel worried and scared as you think whats going to happen next,well going to see doc tomorrow and go back to taking ramipril, have a toddler and can not enjoy life with him [/b:64411a9862][/quote:64411a9862]

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.