Amlodipine good or bad?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I don't see what the problem is with the med. It does work for me, but I know everone is different. I say take your blood pressure often and if it's at a good range when it was not before then if it's not broke and is repaired do not fix it any more.

If still a problem of somekind, other than blood pressure, then focus on that.;

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

David, you have missed the point entirely.  The problem is that long term use destroys the Sinus AVnode conduction path so that electrical signals do not get to the heart muscle telling them to contract.  The damage is permanent.  In other words, bradycardia and irregular or missing heart beats is the result.  If you do a search for Amlodipine or Calcium Channel Blocker and Bradycardia you can get all the information on this awful drug.  The Mayo Clinic site has a lot of good information on the AV Block, as it is called, from long term use of Calcium Channel Blockers, and Beta Blockers and there no exceptions.  My two year use resulted in an emergency pacemaker implant.

The issue is not blood pressure control but the terrible side effects of all these different types of BP meds.  

• Posted

Interesting....I will research and ask my Doctor on Oct. 2nd. Thanks for the heads-up.
  • Posted

There is another point you may have missed David. It can be accepted that there are many people who tolerate Amlop. well and for them it is effective. It worked fine for me for many years until I had a period of immobility. That then gave me enormous leg swelling which then resulted in me finding sites like this. As an aside the swelling went down when I discontinued the drug.

So I did not start searching on-line until I had a problem. I suspect the same is true for many online illness forums. The fit and healthy are out getting on with their lives, but those disabled by their condition will be at home posting information. So there will be a tendency for forums to contain horror stories and there are plenty here for this drug. This does not in any way belittle those for whom the side effects are serious. It has to be said that every drug has side effects, there is no free ride of a cure. It is a balance of benefit and there is no doubt th drugs have revolutionised lives but for some the side effects can be serious. Some who read here may not always recognise that their symptoms are a side effect of the drug and the opinions here will encourage them to seek alternatives. For those who tolerate the drug well, this may not be the place for them.

This forum encourages people to share their story and in so doing enables people to take a balanced choice which may include seeking alternative drugs for their BP. There are many combinations of drugs for BP and they generally have to be taken for life with doses and drugs changed from time to time. When on drugs the aim is for BP to be normal and you are right, it is sensible to read your own BP regularly. Suitable devices are cheaply available and BP is easy to check. But if it is normal is not a time to discontinue the medications if you are already taking them. If your BP is normal and you are not taking medications, no action is needed.

• Posted

You don't know what the problem is because you have not grasped what other people have experienced. It isn't the BP that is the problem, it is the drug. I am pleased that you do not suffer the side effects that I did. My BP was fine and is still fine on a drug which does not cause me the problems that Amlodopine did. Many many people have had huge problems with this drug, count yourself lucky.
    • Posted

I am beginning ti understand and will bring this up when I see the doc on 10-02.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.