Amlodipine Hell.. coming off it.

Posted , 56 users are following.

I was put on Amlodipine about 2 1/2 months ago for slighlty high BP. (Im 45 super fit kick box all the time) About 1 month in I noticed heart palputations laying in bed at night , and small bouts of blurry vision. 2 month mark I was tired all the time and had chest and left arm pain. Been to ER had stress test, EKG etc blood test eveything OK.

Then out of nowhere brain fog hit, head aches, overall weakness nuasea, arm and chest pain. It took me noticing when I took a pill, arm pain got worse and had trouble swallowing. So found this site and took my last pill 11 days ago.

First 3 days vision better no brian fog. Day 7-8 bad flash back of wekness nausea chest and arm pain. Now day 11 of being off, it I still do not feel 100% left arm chest pain little better, nausea comes and goes. I am convinced it is Amlodipine Docotor says no. Ive had additional blood test this week, all came back fine. So two months taking it hoping at two week mark of not taking pills I really start to improve. As far as BP drinking beet juice once a day keeps it in check.

6 likes, 154 replies

154 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

Hi Jeff, fact of the matter is that doctors lie all the time, because they do not know.. if you don't need surgery then stay away from them..  This is the advice from a life long pharmacist friend.. Guide lines were put in place at the World Health Organization in 1977.... do some research, eat health, get plenty of rest and exercise.. Please don't fall into the trap of creating new patients by lowering blood pressure to sell more drugs.. Think about it...Best of Health to you..

• Posted

Can you tell me more. What guidelines and what research? Please and thank you.

• Edited

Hi Jeff - I was on Amlodipine 5 mg for almost 5 yrs & 10 mg for like 3 weeks.  I did not start to experience side effects until about a year into it & then basically couldn't function on the 10 mg.  I can assure you, all of your side effects are the cause of the Amlodipine, your side effects & story is a carbon copy of so many of the posters on this site.  Consider yourself lucky that you found out when you did and did not have to endure the suffering like so many of us have had to, because our Drs refused to hear us. 

I am 45 days off of the Amlodipine, and initially I felt great, but then had headaches, muscle cramps etc. Brain fog left immediately and thankfully hasn't returned.  I will say with every day my symptoms are less, but still have residual shoulder/hand sensation & some GERD symptoms.  My blurry vision, migraine headaches, swollen ankles, hot rash on calves, chest pain under left breast and electric shock in extremities have all disappeared.  I think the longer you have been on this nasty drug, the longer it takes for your symptoms to subside.  You should be feeling great in no time! Good Luck!

• Edited

I hope you are right, spoke with a different doctor today after not feeling well... day 12 off it. Felt sick heart palputations ... ran a EKG im still good explained my concerns to doctor. Doctor agreed to try another BP medicine even though Im off amlodipine. My BP today 132/78. Still drinking one glass of beet juice daily. So that appears to be keeping my BP in check.
    • Edited

Debra, omg! You just basically listed all my symptoms except the throat irritation I have. I am now really determined to make some drastic lifestyle changes and wean off this horrible med.

I say wean because I don't want another med. I just need my new lifestyle to take over for the drug.

• Edited

Hi Debra and hello to other site member, I been on Almodipine 5 and now 10mg since 2015. Today 1/31/18 I went to the ER cause I thought I was having a heart attack due to pain in arm chest palpitation and just basically most of the symptoms I see here. All my test came back fine Ekg xray and blood work. I'm not really sure the next step for me since I started taking med due to experiencing premenopause symptoms leading to high BP, however I will be seeing my doc this week and find a way to ween myself off or go cold turkey. I can't take the stress of pains heart fluttering and been gassy acid reflux. I would like to thank everyone's contributions on this topic in helping me pinpoint the source.

Someone told me a while now that beet juice makes BP go up, I notice on site the contrary to that statement , which is it?

• Posted

Hi hannah219 hope you feel well soon yes I'v been told Beetroot is good also cider vinegar    Kind regards Debra

• Posted

I am so glad you have detected the cause now. [color=#333333] Before going cold Turkey, maybe ask your GP to switch to a different medication? My doctor took me off it straight away, although I have to say, the new one,[/color] candesartan, has not meant my tendonitis has got any less problematic, although the heart palpitations have declined. Like Hannah, I have also heard that cider vinegar helps. Also I/2 lemon juice in hot water taken first thing in the morning - I am currently trying these two and then plan to add beetroot juice. I have also heard that potassium supplements help, but I have yet to try these. 

• Posted

Thank you Debra, I sure will be trying natural products in the future. Hannah.
    • Posted

I wish I found out another way since sickness is not fun but the information found has made it a little less frightening. Also I have been using lemon and water but now with the acid reflux I have to cut back. Thanks for the kind words , till later then Hannah.
    • Edited

Debra

Your message was encouraging. I just went off amlodipine about 3 days ago after ending up in ER and have had horrible stomach pain, acid reflux issues and definately those electrical issues. I went to the ER because of serious heart palpitations. Thankfully my heart and lungs were ok,I noticed your message and wasn't sure how long ago you wrote it. I have cried almost every day from the pain and suffering from this drug. My doctor switched me to something to help with palpitations as well as blood pressure. This journey has been mentally and physically draining!!!!! Did you take anything for the pain? I am wondering if after going off this medication, if it's the arteries that are contracting back that causes the problems? Anyone know? I know it widens the arteries to allow better blood flow. Wonder why the soreness and nausea? What does it do to the body to cause such trouble? Are these withdrawal symptoms?? Would love a response from someone. Want my life back.

• Posted

I had all your same symptoms but also had extreme weakness and could hardly walk to the bathroom. My legs and feet felt numb. The mental confusion, a stroke like feeling that doctors said was all in my head and sent my to a psychiatrist, mental health wasn't the problem. Nightmares that were so very real feeling. Coming off this slowly I have still have a very bad headache,mental confusion and all I want to do is sleep. I no longer drive because of this medication. I was also extremely aggitated on this med. Even the noise from the fan made me angry. It's ruined my life. I'm female, I'm 56, maybe 25 pounds over weight. when this first started I had vertigo, went to have my ears checked, nothing in there so doc said and walked out with bp meds, cholesterol meds and diabetes meds which docs discontinued all but bp meds. I put lubricant in my ears that night and the next morning a clump of wax was on my pillow. so there was some ear problems. My bp was around 145/83 when put on meds, I'm sure I only need to change my diet. I started on Ramipril and its poison, then Lorsartan and its poison. Neither of those reduced my bp. Amlodipine reduced my blood pressure but its poison. Its all poison. I eliminated salt, only red meat twice a week, added one teaspoon of vinager to my favorite drink, added magnesium and beet juice. I'm researching CQ10, Ashwagandha and L-theanine to add slowly to my diet along with excersize. I've begged God to get me through this and off these meds.

• Posted

Hi Jeff, so glad things are working out for you and your numbers are looking good, can you tell me which beet juice you are drinking? I too have weaned off of Amlodipine I'm 8 days off and the withdrawals is the pits, I was only on it for 7 weeks so I'm wondering how long I will feel them, and us I have lost weigh, changed my eating trying to get my numbers to get to a good place, don't want to take anymore meds trying to do it the natural, healthy way, this fatigue and a little dizziness is the worst!! then it could be because my numbers are not good

thank you for your post and about the beet juice brand and about you drink

Good health to you

• Posted

Lking, hope all is well. I am currently experiencing all of these symptoms and was wondering how are you feeling now? I was only on this drug for 3 weeks when I was having terrible side effects. At first when I stop taking them it was fine but after the third day I believe I started having these same symptoms mixed with others. but the stroke like feeling is still there, it lessens by the day but is still there. my dr did switch me to Hydrochorothiazide (which im going to stop taking, my dentist told me they recently did a study on it and its not good at all) I do drink beet juice and it seems to help more than the actual medicine. Just want to know if you feel normal again?

• Posted

Hi, I have been on Amlodipine for approx 7 years. Last week the GP increased the dosage to 10mg. I have since been taken off it . I thought i would list some of the symptoms i have suffered over the years.

Swollen legs and fingers

Burning sensation in toes and legs

Dry Mouth

Vision problems

Brain fog

Migraines

Muscle pain

Stiffness in back

Electric shock feelings

Increase in Tinnitus

Heart beating fast

Muscle spasms

Low mood

Hoping to get back to some normality now .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.