Amlodipine Hell.. coming off it.

Posted , 56 users are following.

I was put on Amlodipine about 2 1/2 months ago for slighlty high BP. (Im 45 super fit kick box all the time) About 1 month in I noticed heart palputations laying in bed at night , and small bouts of blurry vision. 2 month mark I was tired all the time and had chest and left arm pain. Been to ER had stress test, EKG etc blood test eveything OK.

Then out of nowhere brain fog hit, head aches, overall weakness nuasea, arm and chest pain. It took me noticing when I took a pill, arm pain got worse and had trouble swallowing. So found this site and took my last pill 11 days ago.

First 3 days vision better no brian fog. Day 7-8 bad flash back of wekness nausea chest and arm pain. Now day 11 of being off, it I still do not feel 100% left arm chest pain little better, nausea comes and goes. I am convinced it is Amlodipine Docotor says no. Ive had additional blood test this week, all came back fine. So two months taking it hoping at two week mark of not taking pills I really start to improve. As far as BP drinking beet juice once a day keeps it in check.

6 likes, 154 replies

154 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

Hi there - Yes I am a little over 55 days clean from taking Amlodipine.  I am still on Irbesartan 300/25.   I would say that I have good days and then I have "not so great" days.  When I first got off of it, I couldn't believe the difference I felt....no more doom & gloom, swelling in legs & ankles went away, flushing gone & numbness in hands and feet were less, shoulder pain & neck pain also less.  Then after off of it for a week I started getting headaches again and traveling pain starting in my ankle radiating to my knee that was so painful, I was convinced I had a blood clot. Fortunately after a trip to Urgent Care it was not, but I swear it seems like everyday there is a new "something". Yesterday I had such gas & bloating and the pain under my left breast which I know is GERD.  I didn't eat anything that would have warranted such a horrible reaction, but it seems that whatever I eat now, I get this.  I feel that somehow my stomach has permanently been damaged by this drug because I never had these issues before. Also, I get this reoccurring sensation that half of my brain has been affected.  It's a sensation like I am not all there.  I still have random pain in my left jaw and some weird nerve sensation around my lips.  I will say my anxiety appears less, but boy when I was first coming off of it, my anxiety was at an all time high, I also had shortness of breath & felt like I could choke on water. I do think taking magnesium/calcium helped calm me down in that department.  

I was on Amlodipine for 5 years so I can only assume it's going to take awhile for my body to adjust - I will say that people have commented on my overall mood being bett er, so I must have really have been a "Debbie downer" because I still don't feel 100% happy.  Another comment I have heard is that my skin looks better, which while on this horrid drug I developed Rosasea-I think your skin is a telltale sign as to what is going on in your body & mine was at war with this awful drug!  I still have joint pain, but the electric shock in my extremities is gone.  Hope this helps - please keep me posted on how you are getting along - 

Be well -- Debra

• Posted

Hello Debra...

Thanks for yr post ..

While on Amlodipine.. I had some of the serious symptoms .... brain fog .. feeling lost .. down and no enthusiasm.. tired ..lethagic... neck pains and aches .. insomnia ... sleepiness .. lack of energy .. miserable and irritable ..teary eyes and running nose ..

When off Amlodipine.. most immediate relief to brain fog .. anxiety... insomnia ...

At 50 days .. symptoms remain .. tired .. sleepy .. neck ache ..but .. less frequency maybe once in 10 days as compared pre once in 5 days ...and less serious .. so previously was 7 to 8 .. now is 3 to 4 ..

However new symptoms develop ... bloated and gas... stomach distended ... mild headaches at the back of head and neck ... shallow sleep ..

These are observable and I am sure they are Amlodipine related and not just wellness or such ..

Stay well...

• Posted

Good to hear that your pains are lessening. I guess I will have to wait and see....
  • Posted

These drugs are horrible and after reading comments it really makes you question the medical profession.  Just by accident I came across a site, like this one, only it was med students talking to one another..  Boy was it an eye opener.. most of the posts I couldn't understand as it was medical lingo BUT did hear one student complain about a patient and another wrote to him saying he must protect his medical career above all else.  These comments were prevelant and the way they spoke about patients in general was less than comforting...

• Posted

A few days ago I developed very hot hands and they are now either hot or tingling. I walk daily, I lift weights, I eat low carb. There is no logical reason for this. My anxiety is far worse on this med than it has ever been. I just want off it. I had very high bp but the other meds they tried me on had issues too so they try to keep me on this mess. 
  • Posted

Hello Jeff... how are u .. understand u have been off 2 mths already .. how is the situation on the palpitations and anxiety developing .. could u update us ?
  • Posted

Allow me to share my experiences with Amlodine. (50-yo male – good health – healthy food – exercise)

I connection with stress, my BP was going out of hand (240 /150). Started with Metropolol (beta blocker) as I also had arrhythmia (heart skipping beats). Did nothing – so I switched to Corodil / Enalapril (ACE)  which lowered my pressure a bit, but gave me unwanted side effects. Then on to Losartan (Angiotensin II blocker).

At some point (+4 years) the pressure was a bit high again, and I added Amlodipine (Calcium blocker) to the list – taking 2.5 mg Amlodipine and 25 mg of Losartan for about 11 months. I did have side effects in forms of constant dizziness, anxiety, pressure around the heart, tinnitus and generally feeling sick 24 hours a day.

In September 2017, I had a 24 hour BP measurer checking my status. A bit too high (150 /95) but normal at night, and my doctor asked me to take 5 mg Amlodipine (instead of 2.5 mg) and continue with 25 mg of Losartan.

After three weeks, I was feeling depressed to a point I could not exist. More tinnitus, pressure on the heart, arrhythmia, flu like condition, sore neck and muscles, unable to walk because of extreme dizziness etc.

I was able to go to the toilet – that’s it.

Now coming off Amlodipine and continuing with Losartan 25 mg/day:

Day 1-4. Extremely depressed, feeling sick, brain fog, flu like symptoms, neck pain. In bed 23 hours a day.

Day 5-6. Less depression, less brain fog, flu like symptoms only 3-4 hours daily. In bed 20 hours a day

Day 7-8. Slightly better, walks outside but still very dizzy, depression and anxiety almost gone, in bed 18 hours a day, sleep improved from 6 to 7 hours

Day 9. Pretty good, although still dizzy most awaken hours, still have anxiety flashes, 15 hours in bed, now sleeping 7.5 hours at night and no nightmares

Day 10. Flu like symptoms, still dizzy to an unacceptable level (Losartan?), headache, 12 hours in bed – 8 hours of good sleep

Regarding the constant dizziness. I don’t think that’s due to the low dose Losartan (25 mg).

Going for an MR scanning soon, in order to check my ears. Heart has been checked and blood work done – no abnormal measures.

In regards to my blood pressure. The first 3-4 days borderline (140/90), since that, my blood pressure has gone down to normal – around 124/78. I don’t know if that’s due to the many hours resting, to the many cups of Roiboos tea or me stopping the sugar intake. I would be satisfied with a BP around 140/90 if I don’t have to take any medication. I hope I can recover fully from not taking Amlodipine.

Best regards,

• Posted

I have just done a month on Amlodipine.  I tried it with some reluctance after having had a very bad reaction to Ramipril.  Over the past month I have had blurred vision (comes and goes) and for the past week have felt my energy draining away, my tinnitus was getting louder, my hearing deteriorating again and my sleep was getting poor again.  So I am now on day three of not taking the pills.  Already my brain is less foggy.  I have been doing a gym workout (40mins session) every other day, for the past four weeks, have lost weight (about a size 14 now) and was feeling marvellous for the first three weeks then I hit the fatigue wall.

I am 60yrs old and I know I need to cut down on my alcohol intake and hope that with my much improved diet and the exercise, I can live with my BP being a bit higher than what is considered normal.  I would rather have quality of life now.  I did try juicing beetroot with carrot and ginger but it was disgusting so have bought a bottle instead and will give that a try too.

I hope you continue to make progress with recovering from the anxiety flashes and dizzyness.

• Posted

Thank you for your story. I am looking forward to experience som progress - and start living again...
    • Posted

I am still making good progress without the tablets.  The beetroot juice does seem to be helping and I am home monitoring my blood pressure which is more often in the normal range than a little high now.  It really struck me yesterday that my brain is sharp again and I can concentrate properly.  I ran up the stairs at work this morning which is a massive improvement on how I was dragging myself up them last week.  Not sure if the gym is responsible for easing my joints but I am definately not getting the pains I was having before.  I have made a lot of changes to my life including not taking work so seriously and letting things get on top of me.  best wishes K
    • Posted

I am glad you are making good progress, Fitness is important in so many ways, but very hard to drag yourself to the gym or out for a walk when you body (and brain) says no. Something that was never a problem before taking Amlodipine...

Unfortunately my last weeks has been a living hell.

Nightly heart cramps every other day - and palpatations.

Take care, and let us know how you are getting on  :-)

• Posted

When this drug came out (Norvasc) I was given samples of it.. it was horrible and so is the Amlodipine.. I'm also weaning down from Metoprolol.. Lopressor was the next drug I got rid of as it gave me my first panic attack ever..The moral of this story is I've been going to a chiropractor to adjust my nervous system and it's working.. you might want to consider that and get off all of these poisons we are taking.... Of course, doctors are not going to blame the drug, (any drug) that is what keeps them in business... Their remedy is at add a drug to counteract the side effect of the last one they prescribed.. Go with you gut Jeff and good health to you..

• Posted

30 days off Amlodipine (still taking 2 x 25 mg of Losartan)

No change and no light at the end of the tunnel.

Flu like symptoms, big time tinnitus, chest pain, ectopic beats, unbearable dizziness and feeling sick 24/7

I am beginning to think this has nothing to do with Amlodipine

• Posted

Hi there Diffus - I totally understand your concern - I have been off Amlodipine for over 3 months after taking it for 5 years.  Last week was horrible with all kinds of issues, dizzy, flushing, headache, neck pain, palpitations & anxiety.  I decided to go to a Naturopath to rule out some other issues. I found out that my cortisol level was very elevated.  I am not sure if this was caused from my Amlodipine useage & feeling so yucky for so long & always feeling so anxious etc.  the Naturopath said that that coupled with coming off the drug & inflammation in my body could also be the reason I am feeling  not right still.  I don't know how long you took Amlodipine, but I will tell you from experience, the side effects do linger.  The only thing I can suggest is to rule out any other medical issues & to just drink tons of water to keep your body hydrated & to flush the toxins - hopefully, one day we will feel ourselves again.

• Posted

Hi Debra and Diffus ..

What are your blood pressures like currently ?

• Posted

Hi Chi000 - My B/P hangs around the 140 to 145/ 78 to 81 range -
    • Posted

Hi Debra. Thank you for that message. I took 5 mg for 11 months.

It seems like we have almost similar issues. I am doing what I can when it comes to water, tea and supplements.

I am looking forward to the day that life can start again...

Good health to you....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.