Amlodipine is a nightmare

Posted , 3 users are following.

My husband was really sick for a while, always tired any in pain so he finally stopped reading Amlodipine bit more he seems to be withdrawing from it and is in pure agony. He won't eat it get out of bed.

Can any of you tell me when this might get better? It seems never-ending.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi 

First. Did he slowly taper off this medication with his doctors consent and understanding or did he CoLd Turkey stop taking this medication? 

Considering how he’s feeling I wouldn’t waste another minute and I would take them to the nearest emergency room and have him checked out better to be safe than sorry if you have to call an ambulance but please don’t weaken time he sounds very sick and there’s no telling what’s going on and since I have no idea when he stopped the medicine or if he abruptly stopped like many do and shouldn’t do

If all these medications as a whole for hypertension are not being tolerated by people they need to make up a taper schedule to slowly come off of it and make sure their doctor is kept in the loop I made up my own schedule which took three months and I actually added some extra time and I faxed over paper every week to my doctor letting her know the amount of medication I took every day and my blood pressure readings I believe to this day with a great people on this site is saved my life 

I would never rely on a website for answers to a situation like you are in currently your husband is evidently very sick and sometimes these websites might have a slow day where nobody’s responding you need to get medical attention as soon as you can and let us know how everything goes afterwards

Good luck 

• Posted

He's not dying just really miserable. He got off the med because our Dr didn't have any availability for him to see her and he was in constant pain. I am keeping in contact with our Dr.

• Posted

I understand 

But just so you know it’s very dangerous to stop the medication without doing a taper I would still get them checked out by the ER

Stopping any of these medications and properly have actually caused a heart attack and some people not everyone but you just never know how one’s body will react and if he’s already in pain of any kind I would definitely feel that’s worth a trip to the ER

Best wishes 

• Posted

I know but I can't stop him, I'm not his mother. He felt like he was dying and had no other help, he didn't even tell me until say6s later. He would normally never do this kind of thing, which is why I was surprised but he was desperate for the pain to end. It's been over a week though and he's ok so far. It probably HEPA he's other a really healthy guy.

• Posted

This is a horrible med indeed and i was one of the unlucky ones to also take it. There are lots of side effects while on this med and lots of withdrawals once one gets off it. Thank God he has someone to be with him.

I'll be thinking of both of you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.