amlodipine! !!! side affects

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello

Has anyone else experienced numbness and panic attacks on amlodipine?  Omg! Have been taking 10mg for few months now but 2 months ago started having numbness in my left leg and foot  it's a night mare, started with insomnia and if I do sleep then I experience numbness in my left leg or foot. I have also started experience panic attacks and dreadful anxiety! This is awful and affecting my daily life! !! My GP has sent me for several tests for numbness including doppler and nerve tests but all okay, could this be amlodipine, has anyone experienced the same? 

Help!

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

No to panic attacks but certainly numbness ( peripheral neuropathy) . The latter came with the limb swelling but after I ceased amlop. the numbness has remained and a year on is still present but a little less pronounced. Of course, there is always coincidence but I had not had any similar symptoms previously and the limb swelling ( which was so bad, I often took to a wheelchair ) was the starting point.  I did not notice it particularly when the limbs were swollen but then I had greater issues about which to be concerned. It was very noticeable after my mobility returned after the swelling reduced. It does not greatly concern me or affect my mobility but if I rub the bare sole of my foot it feels a little, but only a little, as if I am rubbing someone else's foot. 
  • Posted

I take 5mg of this drug and after 30 days on it, fluid retention was what I ended up with, and I upped my grape seed ex and got rid of the fluid.....this powerful antioxidant does this...

I take 25mg Atenolol and 5 mg Amp and things seem ok....

Time to change dose or meds or or talk to doc for sure.

Grape seed ex and pycnogenol are GREAT overall antioxidants that address so much, I'm on them 19 yrs....

• Posted

Yes.....sadly. This drug causes neuropathy, and a has a host of other side effects.  I know because I now suffer from the dreadful side effects of this drug. I have peripheral and cranial nerve damage, damage to my tendons and muscles. Do yourself a favor and get off this med asap simply because you are already having these bad side effects. no test is going to conclude that you have anything else wrong with you. This is damage being done to your body.
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply, I am so sorry to hear about your experience. I cannot believe that this drug is allowed to be prescribed! I have heard that it is banned in some countries, I have had 2 days off this pill and already I feel 20 yrs younger. My GP wants me to take it until I get an appointment but I don't want to take it ever again. I hope that things improve for you
    • Posted

Yikes, could this be a big part of my advancing joint issues, tgrue I deal with OA and a mess from hip replacement but could t his drug be doing more damage than I know...Yes, it caused fluid build up in right foot 30 days after using it but I got rid of that fluid but now ... I see my MD next week and will surely surely talk about this.

I just used my pendulum on the tablets and it was NOT negative.....so I'm confused now big time. This drug was added after 25mg Atenolol wasn't doing the job for me...

• Posted

Hi been reading all these blogs and I can relate to each one of them except for numbness - thank goodness I haven't had that one. I came off amlodipine 10mg three weeks ago after suffering from virtually all of the side effects listed but not putting two and two together. One week ago I started on the 5mg tab but came off that after two days as all the symptoms started coming back. The newest one is gastric reflux - haven't been able to eat for the past week and lost half a stone. Doctor says I may have burnt my oesophagus with acid - well how good is that!! Staying off all medication now for high BP and looking at ways of lowering it naturally. I have given up smoking after 50 years and am lowering my salt intake also drinking almond milk and banana smoothies for the potassium - taking garlic in tablet form and in fresh form in diet and eating loads of tomatoes. Here's hoping they do the trick. Good luck to everyone on this blog and hope they get rid of this disgusting drug once and for all.
    • Posted

I'm not throwing this drug under the bus YET, the fluid build up I had, I got rid of with extra grape seed ex.... I take 5mg with 25mg Atenolol...I'll talk to my doc next week.

Well, smoking is never a good thing and 50 yrs, yikes...my grandkids dad smoked about 30 and he didn't quit soon enough, he left us last year....never addressed his horrible cough until it was too late...

I'm also one who does not have any reflux issues, never have....and for years now I take digestive enzymes and probiotics...

The supplement DGL is greatly suggested for acid reflux stuff...it does not raise BP as it's dgylerrized which means the agent in licorice that raises blood pressure is taken out. I take DGL every day to protect my stomach since I take some otc pain meds for OA and Fibro. Check out DGL.

I have two friends who are 80something and 90something and still smoke and say they will never quit....they have many many health issues.

I changed the toipic a bit but I can't help myself, hate the cancer sticks....

• Posted

Thank goodness you got off the drug in time. There are plenty of natural supplements you can take to lower your blood pressure. I would do your research online before trying anything else. Diet, exercise and supplements work great. I will continue my rehab and hope for the best!
    • Posted

I just looked up the side effects list of this drug.

Most Common is fluid in ankles and I did get that 30 days on the drug and was able to get rid of the fluid with my antioxidant.

In the long list of Rare...it mentioned muscle/joint pain.

I don't like any drugs, and the BP and thyroid are the only pharma drugs I take....I tried every herbal etc...for years and I know celery can lower BP, but it didn't help so I dreaded it, but went with the BP meds....

I just spoke to the pharmacist and she said this med has been around 20-30 yrs and some people may get the "rare" side effect. I'll talk to my doc next week, having OA doesn't help and with age it gets worse sadly.

She went on to mention the joint damage that statins cause and I've heard this one for a long time....I would NOT touch a statin.

Do any of you take statins?

Probably one of the MOST commmon side effect with BP meds too is fatigue....

• Posted

Yes, my pharmacists tried telling me that too that these are "rare". And for the majority of people they "MAY" be fine. That's comparing apples to oranges. How will one KNOW if they fall into which catagory? I did my due dilgence. Unfortunately for me it wasn't until after the damage was already done. But, I also ordered a clinical study of Amlodipine from the FDA and though it was a small study in comparison to the VAST studies that have been done. I ordered the small study because it was free. I did this through the Freedom of Information Act. The results....out of some 5,780 some people, 876  committed suicide on this drug.  Then there are a host of other HORRIBLE side effects listed in single line on 46 more pages. I could literally spend hours relating these side effects and the damage that has been done by this one drug alone. I've compiled enough information about these kinds of drugs and the damge they do as opposed to the good it's not funny. These drugs are not tested long enough on humans to know the true long term damage.  Statins. They are just as bad. The muscle, joint, tendon, tissue injury, brain fog, extreme fatigue I suffered from is due to the Simvastatin, mainly. The Amlodipine increases the side effects of this drug by 47%. So when combined...your talking a huge mess for the "RARE" people. I will never take a chance on pharma meds again. Amlodipine has it's own host of terrible side effects.  And I have also done my due diligence online as well.....there are NUMEROUS supplements that aide in lowering your BP. Any time you take a "pill" that changes the way our metabolic clock works, you have a problem. Everytime I hear a commercial for some new drug for this or that and how it may help you, then comes the long list of what could go wrong.. I'm with the hundreds of thousands out there who have been maim by these drugs. And if you search....you will find us on blogs everywhere on planet earth.  No thank you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.