Amlodipine side effects

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have high blood pressure.  My former doctor put me on a medium-low dose of amlodipine but, for me, it had intolerable side effects (I can't remember the exact dosage).  After 2 weeks I stopped taking it and refused to restart.  My new doctor also would like to put me on it but I told him that if he prescribed it I wouldn't take it because I cannot think straight and can barely drive my car due to extreme "spaciness" when I take that drug.  Bad dreams and nightmares also bothered me while I was trying to get used to it.  He seems to not believe me.  He keeps telling me that I'll get past that and everyone gets "dizzy" when their blood pressure starts to drop from too high to normal.  I tried to explain to him that that was not what I was experiencing but he looked at me like I was nuts.

My questions are:  Why do some people have bad side-effects from this drug while others do not?  Do others have reactions to this drug that are similar to what I described?

Thanks!

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi David, I've only just been taking Amlodipine. I seemed okay on 5mg but then after a week of taking developed really disturbing dreams, now I can't seem to rest at all at night.. This is after 10 days..

• Posted

Hi David, new to this so not read many comments yet. I was put on this drug for very high blood pressure. 5mg, only on a few days and not feeling myself, dizziness, extreme tiredness, thought I'd be okay after a while as they say give it 2 weeks , but blood pressure not coming down enough., I started having the odd bad dreams but put it down to a milky coffee... The doc increased my dosage to 10mg.. I've had extremely disturbing dreams after 1st increase dosage.. A few days in and feel spaced out. I've decided to come off it.. Will have to talk to the doc again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.