Amlodipine side effects

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been on Amlodipine for a year. My feet and ankles have swollen terribly. My walking has been very unstable and I have fallen several times. Now I get very anxious and panicky if I am not holding on to something when walking. I have been going to physical therapy and it has helped some, but I am having to use a walker. After reading about the side effects, I talked to my doctor yesterday and he agreed for me to go off this medicine and double my Irbesartan. Today is my first day and I wonder if anyone has any suggestions.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

hi Sandra - i was on Amlodipine for 5 years, and after 2 years on Amlodipine, i was also put on Irbesartan Hctz - After the 5 year mark, & having my amlodipine changed from 5 to 10 ml, i discovered this forum. i had felt so lousy for so long, wasnt sure what was causing it? menopause? anxiety? Once my feet & ankles started to swell, i went cold turkey off the amlodipine...i will say, i did have lots of weird symptoms & didnt feel great for quite some time, but am better now. i do believe the amlodipine was responsible for causing my achilles tendonapthy. if your feet & ankles are swelling its time to get off that poison. you were only on it for a year, so you should not have too hard of a time recooping from it - good luck!

• Posted

Of course that kind of swelling needs to be discussed with the doctors ASAP.

And consider adding a diuretic with almost any BP med, especially when there is swelling.

My one "suggestion" is that it takes a week or so for amlodipine to clear the system, so give it a little time, and of course watch your BP.

I was on amlodipine and stopped, I had other side-effects, and my BP was controlled by my other meds, seems the amlodipine wasn't doing much good in the first place.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.