Amlodipine side effects

Posted , 4 users are following.

Ive been on 5 mg amlodipine for about 5 years. Had no real problems other than being a bit dizzy and lightheaded and bp still on high side. When i started having thyroid problems and have episodes of fainting my gp upped my dose to 10mg. Since then ive been suffering palpitations, anxiety, tremors swollen ankles...

My thyroid consultant said i shouldnt be on these tablets as I've suffered a blood clot and narrowed arteries in the past?

Does anyone have any thoughts.. impossible to get appointment to change?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

hi Beverly - i too was on Amlodipine for 5 years & when my dr switched me to 10 ml, my legs & ankles swelled terribly - i started on Amlodipine during the onset of menopause & during an extremely stressful period in my life (caregiving for my ailing parents) getting kids off to college etc. i never quite understood why i felt so horrible during that time. i thought it was stress, menopause etc. it wasnt until my feet started swelling that i came upon this patient forum & realized many of these people were experiencing the same issues as me. i immediately went cold turkey & took my self off the drug. i felt lousy for quite some time, but oddly enough, my b/p actually came down after being off the drug. i think for some people it is just very toxic to their system. i am still on irbesartan & seem to tolerate it ok - i still suffer with anxiety, dizziness, palps & dont know if that is the long term effect of that drug or is it just menopause since both have similar symptoms. i will tell you that i developed achilles tendonapthy & constant flushing that i know was caused by amlodipine - it didnt suit me at all -

• Posted

sounds awful. I hadnt given it a thought, but ever since my dosage has gone up ive been terrible. .anxious, really hot, tremors..you wouldnt think that when youve been on it such a long time it would suddenly have an effect on you!

• Posted

I ended up in A&E after only 1 dose of 5mg. Why are you keeping on the higher dose when it is making you ill. Half the people in hospital are there due to iatronic illness (that means illness cuased by medication). I take 1 magnesium tablet and a glass of beetroot a day to keep my bloodpressure stable. No side effects and good for my health.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.