Amlodipine side effects,, act now

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been on Amlodopine for several years now, my BP is good but i now realise I have been suffering side effects, such as palpitations, lack of drive, feeling tired, feeling down, head in the clouds at times.. forgetful.. the thing was my late wife had cancer for 8 years and i simply associated a lot what I was experiencing as how I was feeling about our situation. She passed away in February this year and I became more aware of the side effects. I started to notice the palpitations a lot more and went to the doctors but at no time was it mentioned or considered to be a side effect of Amlodopine. The general feeling of tiredness I just thought that's how I was feeling, Red Bull had a shelf in the fridge. I have been doing some research and have an appointment with my doctor on Friday where I'll be asking for a change. 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi R0bert.

I'm sorry to hear of your wife. I feel it would be worth trying some time off Amlodipine to rule out a lot of how you are feeling. Although you need to grieve, I feel depression can be caused by this drug which is not something you need added to what you have to deal with.

I was taking Amlodipine for a couple of years and the side effects increased gradually. I was back and forth to the doctors but never was it mentioned that it could be the meds they were giving me. I was then diagnosed with cancer and went through all that that entails and I put all my symptoms down to that. 

However, several months following treatment, I felt worse than ever with no sign of improvement, and I had so many symptoms and ailments I despaired. Again, it was never mentioned that Amlodipine could be contributing/causing a lot of what I was experiencing. I know it didn't cause the cancer, that isn't what I'm saying, but the symptoms were devastating, and none of it was attributed to Amlodipine even though you have to tell every doctor you see what med's you are on.

By pure chance, I went away for a few days with my husband, and forgot to take the pills with me. Not worried by this, I decided to do without them for the time we were away.

By the time I came home, I was a different person.

I haven't taken one since and won't be doing so again. I improved so quickly and so much in such a short time. I now have my life back.That's what led me to this site. If I hadn't gone away and forgotten them I would still be in a state of misery putting it all down to my chemo.

Amongst a lot of other debilatating symptoms, I look back and can only descibe it as a zombie like depression. The fatigue and 'not caring' about anything was awful, but when you have something else going on, such as you have had, it's normal to attribute the way you feel to those circumstances, as I did. 

If you have any reluctance from your GP to take you off them, I hope you have the fight in you to insist. Just to see if you feel any different once you have stopped for a while.

If it turns out not to be the Amlodipine, then what have you lost? But you could have a lot to gain.

Regards

Tay

• Posted

thank you Tay,, I assume your treatment has been successful and I wish you the very best of health. I'm fortunate in that I have a very good relationship with my doctor, he's been very supportive in the past and continues to be so. He'll allow change when I request it, i see you mention 'not caring' something i have been plagued with and that isn't me.. I'll be keeping my post updated when i change drug and hopefully improve my wellbeing..
  • Posted

Hello Robert,

I'm truely sorry for your loss. Yes, depression, anxiety and great fatigue and a feeling of detachment are all side effects of Amlodipie. I too had these symptoms. Although I'm left with the physical ramifications of Amlodipine. The depression and anxiety are much better. Even my therapist has noticed a big change in me. I was diagnosed with PTSD and the Amlodipine worsened my symptoms greatly. Getting off this med is probably the best thing you can do for yourself.

Michele

• Posted

Show your doctor the leaflet that comes with Amlodipine and one of the side effects he'll see is 'pounding heartbeats or fluttering in your chest'. There are lots of different BP medications ask him to change yours. Don't be intimidated or fobbed off. I took Amlodipine for a short while, had a bad experience and have not taken it since.
  • Posted

Hi

Let us know how you go on. There was something in the tone of your post that reminded me of me when I was on the tablets. That's what prompted me to respond. I didn't even care that I didn't care........ if you know what I mean.

If you do, then you need to stop them.

Tay xx

• Posted

been off Amlodipine for 10 days now, still having palpitations, feeling lightheaded at times but major positives are that my sexual dysfunction has improved drastically, I am waking up feeling ready to get up and stop lieing in bed, I care more, head is loads clearer than it was..hope this keeps improving..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.