Amlodipine side effects - puffy feet and ankles

Posted , 6 users are following.

Since being on Amlodipine 2 weeks back, my previously slim feet ankleand foot have now swollen considerably.   Strangely though, it is only the right foot and ankle that is affected.      Is there another similar drug I can ask the G.P. to put me on that doesn't have this side effect.   Also in general I don't quite feel 100% since being on this, although I am also on a beta blocker and these drugs make me feel not entirely well

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello- I have been going through the same thing. First my doctor thought it may be a blood clot because only one foot (right) was swollen. Had me go to the ER for a leg ultrasound only to find out it was the medication. I was on 10mg. He took me off for 2 months- my BP jumped back up so he put me back on 2.5mg. My ankle is still swollen especially in the evening.

I have an appointment to go back in 2 weeks and do not know what else to do. Hate to wear sandals as summer is approaching too.

• Posted

This is normal for many people. You GP may try other CCBs such as felodipine, but they may have the same problem. He may also prescribe a diuretic to reduce the swelling.
  • Posted

Hi Angela, I was on Amlodipine for over 12 plus years and did not realize that my indigestion was being caused but it. Amlodipine side effects have been known to slip up on you gradually and can make you feel awful especially if taken on an empty stomach.  My Dr recently prescribed Lisinopril 5 mg. So far so good but really would like to not take any because of all the side effects. I'm also on indapamide 1.25. Cardiologist changed indapamide to 2.5 but it was much to strong. My GP changed it back to 1.25. If this combination does not work she told me to come back and she would try something else 

• Posted

Dear Angela 192

I'm still going through the trial and error process with hypotensive drugs. Amlodipine is the second of this family of drugs that I've been tried on. I see my GP next week so may have an answer then, I'll keep you posted.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.