Amlodipine Side Effects - Should I Stop After 3 Days?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all, I have been diagnosed with very high blood pressure and was first put in Ramipril but had to come off due to severe cramps in legs (weirdly went all the way up the front), nightmares and choking  fits. My doctor gave me Losartan which were a dream (I thought) as no nasty side effects. However I have now been taken off them as they didn't lower my blood pressure (last reading 177/102) so started on Amlopidine 5mg 3 days ago. The doctor warned me my ankles could swell slightly but I wasn't prepared for the unbearable migraine headaches, nightmares and loud ringing in the ears! I have otosclerosis and menieres, wear a hearing aid due to loss of hearing and am used to tinnitus but Amlodipine  has made it it worse. On top of that I feel nauseous and that's just after 3 days I don't want to damage my already damaged hearing any more but wondered whether I am giving the side effects a chance to settle. Has anyone else experienced similar problems? I would be grateful for any advice please. Thanks for your time.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Go back to your doctor and say no more. I ended up on Amias, which is much better, though I think more expensive

• Posted

Hi Jenny, Thanks for your advice, I'll got back to see my doctor.
  • Posted

Hi Wendy

These side effects are unacceptable - please  see your GP asap to ask for a change of medication.

I would also recommed contacting 111 or your out-of-hours service if the symptoms worsen, or become intolerable.

My own experience is that if you put up with the symptoms, the GP will tend to be less likely to want to change the medication later on, on the grounds that nothing was said at the time of first taking the medication.    

Please also remember that you can complete a report about the side effects via the yellow card system and ask to have a report sent to your GP (as I did).

Has the GP looked into why the BP is high? That's very important. I feel you can't just prescribe bp medication like this without investigating the underlying problems.

Good luck Wendy and hope you will feel better soon.  

• Posted

Hi Gerard, thank you, will go back to doctor - feel better about stopping them after getting advice on this forum. Thanks for the info on the yellow card system - I will use that. I have a stressful job but my doctor thinks that's only part of the problem. I don't handle stress very well and find it hard to relax which I suppose might add to it. It doesn't run in the family, I don't know why I have this. I do get scared especially at night when I get really bad palpitations - I just want something to work but my bp is all over the place. On Losarten 25mg I had a reading of 154/121, now 6 weeks later on 50mg it's 177/102. Thanks again and good luck to you and everyone on this forum.
  • Posted

Medication is supposed to make your health better not make it hell. Go back to your GP and ask him to prescribe Amias which one poster has found ok. Not all meds work for all people.
    • Posted

Hi Marco, I couldn't agree more!  I will look up Amias. Thank you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.