amlodipine withdrawal

Posted , 8 users are following.

I stopped amlodipine cold turkey three weeks ago and I feel terrible. I've got painful joints, espeicially in my knees, toes and shoulders, headaches, terrible exhaustion and I'm craving carbs to the point where I've put on a stone. I've read on here that the drug should be out of my system in 3-4 weeks but I don't seem to be improving at all yet. 

Has anyone else had these side effects? 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

No I don't get any of those side effects. I am 3months into being off the meds. I get a lot more cramp in my feet than before but I put that down to the new found love of jogging. Which I am doing a) to keep my BP in check and b) because I also ate like a horse for a month when I came off the meds.

• Posted

I also wondered if the hacking cough I've had since Christmas was down to the pills but that hasn't gone either. sad 

• Posted

You guys both have food cravings and issues coming off? I wonder why that is? I hate this med and it isn't getting my bp down enough so the Dr wants me to up it but I have not done so. I am trying to find anything I can do to get off it. I guess I will have to look out for food issues getting off when that comes. 

• Posted

Hi, I quit about 3 weeks ago but did not experience those side effects. My blood pressure increased so my doctor gave me a prescription for Lisinopril 5mg.  I stopped taking Amlodipine because over time I believe it was causing me to have gastrointestinal issues, pain on my left side under my breast and the feeling of knots in my lower intestine and esophagus.  Now those symptoms have subsided.  Hope you feel better soon. 
  • Posted

Hi! Did you have the same pain while on Amlodipine? In my case, I had terrible joint pain and headaches while on it. After quitting, the pain continued but was greatly reduced. Still have occassional aches and pains every few days but definitely nothing like it was before. I read a post here somewhere that for some, the side effects may last a long time. My practitioner thinks I may have Fibromyalgia triggered by taking too high a dose of Amlodipine for several months. But since the pain is becoming less frequent and intense each week, I remain hopeful that I will make a full recovery. 

Hope you are feeling better. 

• Posted

no the only thing i got with amlodipine was a really nasty cough which is why i wanted to stop it. the cough is still there but i'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will fade in time.

• Posted

Hi, are you on any other blood pressure meds i.e. Lisinopril?
    • Posted

no, just excercising more, eating better and keeping a check on my bp.

• Posted

Hi. It sound like your body needs more time for the Amlodipine to clear your system. Even though I was on Amlodipine for over approximately 13 years, I was not always constantly taking it. I would go own and off of it because I never have liked taking meds. I'm just realizing that some of my joint pain in my hips may be related to taking it.  I noticed more joint pain in my neck and left shoulder. I've been off cold turkey since end of March and most of the side effects have subsided. I hope it wears out of your system soon. 

• Posted

ive been on this med for many years it's the only one that suited me at the time I would get big blisters with the other meds they tried but I think after years on been on this med my body is reaching its limit I reduced it 2.5mg it's normally 5mg I started getting intestinal problems and itchy skin burning and other problems with nerve receptors not sure if it's caused by the BP meds it took some time to find this med but not every med suits everyone as we are all slightly different or should I say unique individual s

i know feel like I'm locked in.a vicious circle

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.