amlodipoine

Posted , 7 users are following.

i was put on amlodipine 6 weeks ago.felt great at first.after 5 days my gums started to bleed,(ive never had bleeding gums in my life)...i used corsidil,but no joy ,i went to the dentist who gave me strong antibiotics but my gums were still bleeding..saw the nurse who was monitoring my bp..my bp was normal..she had never heard of amlodipine causing bleeding gums..ive read up and a very rare side effect of this drug IS bleeding gums and swollen gums..two days ago my gums were so swollen i gouldnt even touch them with my tongue.i was in agony.dr told me to stop amlodipine straight away.yesterday evening the swelling started to go down,today i had the smallest amount of blood when i brushed my teeth..please dont be brushed off by the medical professionals saying it couldnt be the tablets just because its very rare to have these symptoms,something like 1 in 10,000 people get this.unluckily i was one of them

2 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

It's a good thing that you looked up what the side effects are with amlodipine. I have decided to wean myself off of it.Even after I told my gp about the side effects that I have been experiencing. She said for me to keep taking it. My gp put me on 5 mgs per day and I had issues with slight inflamation in an area of my mouth. I knew that I have some cavities that need attending to, but I didn't bleed a lot. I took my last 2.5 mg pill yesterday. The reason she put me on it was because of the stress that I had on election day and that I didn't have the use of a car to get the things done that day in a small amount of time. Now, for the time being, I do have a loaner car, I can get things done without having to worry about cramming them all into a small amount of time and I have been watching what I have been eating. I am not scheduled to see my gp for another 2-4 months. I am taking better care of myself. Keep brushing and flossing your teeth and do a littl mesage on your gums every once in a while. Good luck to you.
  • Posted

With all I read .... They should change the

Name of that drug to "suckfest"

• Posted

Hi Gail sorrry to hear your one of the in 1  in 10,000 i have stopped them compleatly and i will be going back to find an alternitive  best of luck 
  • Posted

Hi Gail sorrry to hear your one of the in 1  in 10,000 i have stopped them compleatly and i will be going back to find an alternitive  best of luck 
    • Posted

felt good on them if it wasn't for my bleeding and swolen gums.but the pain of this was too much.having bp checked on monday,but ive checked at home and it is high,so hope the doc can come up with an alternative.
  • Posted

There have been so many posts on the bad effects of Amlodipine why are GPs still prescribing and patients taking? Maybe it's cheap.
    • Posted

Maybe they're prescribing it because it's 'the flavour of the day'. It seems  a LOT of physicians are prescribing Amlodipine.
  • Posted

Hi Gail1234

Just because something can be rare, or VERY rare, doesn't mean it doesn't happen. You are a classic example of this. "Burning" is listed in the rare column of

side effects in Mayo Clinic. Again, because it's rare, doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

If you can get off that wretched drug..do it! I HATE the stuff.

• Posted

Hello again, gail1234....

You stated you started on the Amlodipine 6 weeks ago, you're experiencing bleeding/swollen gums, AND your bp has not come down. I would expect that after 6 weeks, there would have been some improvement with the bp numbers, but this doesn't seem to be the case. Actually, this could be a VERY good reason for telling your gp that you want off the Amlodipine, AND because of the nasty side effects you're experiencing. Amlodipine is a CCB...some people have success with it lowering their bp, while others don't. Your gp my suggest you take an ARB such as Valsartan, Irbesartan, etc. Combining Amlodipine along with an ARB likely won't do you any good...because of the side effects you're experiencing. Be careful not to fall into this trap.

Please let us know how you get on.

• Posted

Hello

I had an awful time on amlodipine! Had very high BP and doctor put me on 10mg amlodipine, felt great at first then after about 6 months I kept waking up with a dead leg! So bad one night that I ended up with a broken foot! After checking side affects it appeared that amlodipine causes nerve problems! So scary - my BP was fine but the numbness was horrible, stopped after a few weeks of stopping,  I did some research on this drug and apparently it's banned in most countries and only used in veterinary practice! ! This drug is dangerous in my opinion

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.