Amlodopine 10mg

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have had my dosage of this drug increased because of the ineffectiveness of the lower dose controlling my blood pressure.

Whilst on the lower dose I experienced back pains similar to a UTI but with no infection, since being on the increased dose I have severe back ache, stomach cramping , swollen ankles and leg cramps; has any one else experienced this type of side effect? at the same time the drug does not appear to be controlling my very high diastolic pressure.

My family think I am breathing more badly than ever and I do feel I need more air and I know that breathlessness is a possible side effect from other postings.

As I also have rheumatoid arthritis it is a possibility that the drug may aggravate this.

Has anyone had increased reaction when changing to the higher dose?

I was on a marvellous drug Teveten which can no longer be prescribed on the NHS and they have had difficulty finding a drug which effectively controls my blood pressure, so this is the latest choice and so under the more of the same, here we go again routine.

Any comments welcomed

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Trabbit,

All these side effects like back pain and actual UTI in my case, swollen ankles, gastric problems, cramps and another ones like tension headaches, blurry vision, hair loss,, ED, depression, anxiety, tearfullness, lethargy, fatigue and tiredness, loss of concentration, cold hands and cold feet, tremors/shaking, ringing in ears, frequent urination, easily breathless, insomnia, sweating,nightmares and so on... They all have been my side effects from when i was taking amlodipine 10mg for almost 3years. Some of the side effects show up at the start and some after 2.5years. Under my doctor supervision i slowly stopped taking Amlodipine (going from 10 to 7.5 for month, then from 7.5 to 5mg and 2.5mg),while i am off of amlodipine i am still taking Ramipril for bp. I am almost 50days off amlodipine, but some withdrawal side effects are still not completely gone, anyway regarding the effect of amlodipine on lowering my bp works ok for 2.5years, but then it actually stopped working or it even may caused my bp go up. For swollen ankles from amlodipine at that time, they prescribed me diuretics, which caused frequent urination, dehydration and constipation. Try to talk to your doctor, neurologist or cardiologist, from personal experience doctors doesnt believe what this amlodipine can cause to some more sensitive people to this medication. Stay your ground and explain them all your side effects. There are many bp meds with less side effects. Wish You all the best and as many of us here, you are not alone with this.

• Posted

Also there is something similar to angiotensin Teveten and its called Eprosartan. (it should be very similar, if not same.) Teveten is US version. Try to ask your doctor about it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.