Amlodopine

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am a British heart patient (pacemaker, high calcium level in one artery, high blood pressure, cholesterol etc) and I think people considering Amlodopine should know that it is not necessarily a bad drug. It is widely used by cardiologists in the UK, including my own. At the beginning I was put off by stories of side effects like those below. But I agreed to start taking the drug, and in fact increased my daily intake from 5mg to 10. My blood pressure has fallen significantly, from a systolic  up around 155/160 down to 115/120, and the diastolic reading has fallen by pretty much the same degree. Would I prefer not to take the drug? Probably. Has it had any worrying side effects? To be honest, none that I'm aware off. I accept this drug isn't for everyone, but I do think that for blood pressure it's worth a try. By no means all users suffer because of it. 

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

That is helpful & interesting, Tim.

I was given it last August, in addition to the Bisoprolol & Bendroflumethiazide that I was already taking, however, it had one significant side effect.  It triggered oedema in me & I put on a stone in weight, which I could not afford to do.  A different GP gave me Losartan instead & my weight has reverted to normal.

I was aware of the other horror stories that people reported but wasn't affected by anything else.

• Posted

Hi Tim, 

I don’t have any heart problems other than my blood pressure being on the high side (especially st the Drs surgery!) for some reason have an absolute phobia about  having my BP taken which makes it higher! I was put on Amlodopine a couple years ago and also Perindoprol a year later. I was very worried about side affects that I had read about too but I have had no side affects either. In fact I feel much calmer than I did before! I agree not everyone has side affects so please do try it before writing it off. It could help save your life. 

• Posted

You'd probably feel a little different if you had that pacemaker because of amlodipine.  My aFib started within a few days of increasing my dose from 5 to 10 mg.  There are other medicines.

• Posted

Hi Tom I'v been on Amlodipine for just over 9 months was taking it for 3 months then tried another which did not agree with me at all ended up in hospital they took me if it and back on Amlodipine 10mg only thing it made my feet and ankles swell so went on to 5 mg and so far I'm fine really good so as you say it's not for everyone but I do now a lot it suits.     Regards Debra

• Posted

Sorry Tim
  • Posted

Hi Tim

I was on Amlodopine for 9 years and at first for perhaps 8 years l had no problem at all. Apart from swollen ankles and some bone pain. I was on 5mg for years but then my bp went up so consequently Dr upped the dose to 10mg. That's when l became depressed and had big anxiety problems. Took me ages to realise it was this drug that was causing it all. I also started to have bad palpitations with my heart rate going to 146 especially at night whilst asleep. This sent me to a cardiologist who then put me on the Betta blocker Bisoprolol. Another tablet that causes me panic attacks/anxiety. Not a nice place to be l can assure you. I really am glad you can tolerate Amlodopine and long may it continue for you. Best wishes.

• Posted

I too only noticed the symptoms I was suffering was a result of Amlodopine when the GP increased my dosage from 5mg to 10mg. 
  • Posted

Have to start taking INDAPAMIDA/AMLODIPINA 1.5mg/5mg I'm 78 tried lots of BPmed my BP275/130 today so knowing now my left kidney damaged have to get it down.worried about side effects,advice please

• Posted

Hello Tim

This forum is about those who have issues with amlodipine .. which is an absolute minority of users .. and some with severe effects that really affects daily activities .. to share their problems...

For the rest of the 90% maybe who have no issues .. this forum is meaningless.. my uncle who is 76 has been on amlodipine 20 yrs .. no side effects ...

• Posted

Hi Tim, I've just been given Amlodipine,along with capitopril and Furosemide.This was after being told I have chronic kidney disease.I'm glad you are on the mend and wish you well

• Posted

But how long have you been taking it Tim? My heart palpitation only set in after about 6 months, the ruination of my tendons only after a year. I am still suffering with the bursa on my shoulder after being off it for 2 months, although the other crippling effects are slowly wearing off. I hear what you are saying though and the drugs do affect people differently. However, if it has done this to me, it can permanently damage other people. My friends said she had no side effects and said she had been on it for years...then she said she too had had a bursa and problems with foot tendons. The more people I speak to, the more people I am finding have had some side effects and they think it is simply 'growing older' pains.

• Posted

I’ve been on it for 5 yrs with no side affects also added Perindoprol a year ago and still no side affects thank goodness. Think  CHi000 is right in the comment that 90% of people are fine with it
    • Posted

I was on 5mg for several years with no issues, but when I was raised to 10mg, within a week I had aFib and eventually a pacemaker.  90% may sound great, but that means that one in ten has issues.  Even if you say 99% it means one in a hundred have issues.  That's a lot. 

I recently read that tinnitus is a common side effect of Amlodipine.  I've been off it for three years now with no improvement so am not sure of the connection.  Has anyone experienced a connection between Amlodipine and tinnitus?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.