Amlodopine bad side effects anyone else have these?

Posted , 10 users are following.

I am 69 years old and was started on Amlodipine 5 mg a day for slightly high BP. This started me down a long road of declining health. After being on this med for about seven months I developed neuropathy and was referred to a neurologist. I ask him if the neuropathy could be from the Amlodipine. Jo he said and off I went yo a Reumy where Plaquinal was added and a no again it was not the Amlodopine. Then prednisone was added. Two years passed with a slow downward progression of my health. So enough I started weaning off the meds Plaquinal first no change, then the Prednisone no change then the Amlodipine and bam improvement going from not being able to walk to walking, leg and foot pain Lessing, and sleeping much better. The fatigue much better. Be cautious of taking Amlodopine. I feel it is a bad drug for some people.

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Carol and welcome to the forum

Like so many others here, the side effects from Amlo crippled me as well.  I persisted in taking the damn stuff for four months, gradually reduced the dosage myself as my GP was reluctant to take me off it.  I have been off it now for over three weeks and like you I am gradually returning to my old self.  My BP is not too high, I am still taking irbesartan. 

Glad to read that you are improving and getting over the side effects. I understand that some people are fine on this drug, maybe that is why it is not being banned.  Good luck    

• Posted

hi Suezan, thank you for responding and glad to hear you are better. I have been off Amlodopine for almost two weeks and able to walk again and sleep for longer intervals. Very time I think of how Amlodopine effect my health I want to tell more people who might be getting sicker by the day taking this drug. To think I spent the last four years feeling ill when all I wanted to do was lower my BP which was not very high 145/90 to start with. I feel like the medical community (Doctors) need to be more observant of patient complaints in relation to their medications. Again glad to learn you are also improving.
    • Posted

Sorry to inform you but today with ObamaCare and reduced reimbursement to doctors, doctors no longer have the luxury of personnel attention that is why you really have to be your own doctor using the internet as much as possible. 
  • Posted

Amlodipine is making my blood pressure higher. I will quit taking it after 10 years. I have swollen itchy eyes for the last couple of years. I don't feel well at all.
    • Posted

akbarb Amlodopine is a very harmful drug. Please make a dr. Appointment and get your doctor to stop it and replace it with a safer med. feel better
  • Posted

I agree, Amlodipine can cause awful symptoms. I had swollen ankles, abdominal pains & bloating, dry mouth , diarrhea and heartburn soon after starting it. After 6 weeks could stand it no more so stopped taking it. Most symptoms went with in 3 weeks but have been left with ongoing heartburn which is worrying.
    • Posted

S424 Glad you stopped this awful med. if the heart burn doesn't stop soon see your doctor. But don't let your doctor try to restart the Amlodopine it truly is a harmful med. good health to you
  • Posted

I am interested in the neuropathy from amlodopine.....I have this but only in one leg, which worsened when I was upped from 5mg to 10mg .....I have now gone back down to 5mg but the burning /etc has not gone, so am wondering if it is not the Amlodopine at all......did your neuropathy go when you stopped taking it?....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.