Amlodopine only 4 days. How do I get off safely?

Posted , 2 users are following.

4 days ago I took 5mg. at 6:00PM for the 1st time. Next 2 days 3.75mg about 3:00PM. 4th day about 3.15mg. I'm quite elderly. fragile and extremely sensitive to all meds. How do I get off this cursed med with minimal trauma? Thanks for helping save my life.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi, so you have only taken Amlodipine for 4 days prior to starting to wean? Have you had any side effects from weaning so far? I was on 5 mg and had taken it for almost 2 weeks when my cardiologist put me on Metoprolol. After horrific side effects from Metop, two weeks later I weaned back to Am. Unfortunately this time it gave me side effects. My primary prescribed me 2.5 mg dose to help wean. Its been almost a week on this dose and tomorrow I am cutting this in half. Its so hard to get off as one day Ill feel great and another I will have bad heartburn or chest pains. Its quite scary! Can you ask your PCP to prescribe 2.5 mg? You can go from 5 to 2.5 with really no effects normally and youve already tapered down. Id ask your dr for the lower dose, take for a few days, cut in half then another few days. Just listen to your body. Honestly you havent been on it long but if I learned anything with these poisons is that it can still mess you up. I hope you can come off of it soon, Im hoping to be off soon as well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.