Amlodopine problems

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been on the Bisoprolol forum just lately as l was thinking that is what was causing all my horrible side effects. But as I'm also in Amlodopine and Canderstartin for high bp l really don't know which is giving me the worst symptoms. Started the bbs early Feb as had bad allergic reaction the Aug before which then started my heart rate to go through the roof. Was on the bp tablets for years but the Amlodopine only since last year as the Ramapril was making me cough a lot. But since about May l began feeling so I'll, my breathing was poor, couldn't sleep much yet felt my eyes were gritty with tiredness. I had terrible anxiety and even panic attacks which never had before. I flush up, feel miserable all of the time, not wanting to go anywhere or do anything. I've had the most awful itchy skin, and that wakes me up every night where l could scratch my skin off. I have a doc appointment on Tuesday but am wondering should l say it's the bbs or the bp medication that's bothering me the most, because I'm no longer sure which is the worst. So fed up with myself and scared all the time. My last bp numbers were 124/71. Any ideas?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Also like to say l woke in early hours Wed morning with my heart rate going at 146. Couldn't breathe and seriously thought of calling 999. Tried to calm myself by drinking water and eventually after a couple of hours it calmed down but it left me wondering...what now?

• Posted

Hi Christine - I am sorry that you are experiencing what appears to be side effects from one of your drugs.  Since I was only on Amlodipine & not the other drugs you are on, I will tell you from my experience, the flushing, anxiety/panic attacks and lack of interest to go anywhere is definitely a side effect of the Amlodipine-I experienced them all and after being off of it for over forty days, am still battling with the fall-out.  Believe me, it's better, but this poison wrecks havoc on your body.  I had flushing so severely that I would then get a migraine.  I never experienced "itching" but did get a rash on lower calves and felt "electric shock" in hands and feet as well as feet & ankle swelling.  Now I feel as though I have muscle stiffness that I know is the results of taking Amlodipine for 5 years.  After taking myself off the Amlodipine, I now feel like "living" as opposed to doing nothing.  I can't even believe how depressed I was on that drug, I even lost a friendship over it because I was so depressing to be around.   I definitely believe your symptoms are caused from the Amlodipine, I just can't speak to the itching.  Take care.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Debra. And thanks for letting me know your experience of this hateful Amlodopine med. I actually feel better when you said you were, and still are by the sound of it,suffering same effects. Gives me hope that maybe l can some day feel human again instead of the automated, trying to hold it altogether, person l am now. Just waiting now for Tues see what the Doc has to say when l tell her l want to come off the Amlodopine.
  • Posted

Hi - My guess is you experienced a full blown anxiety/panic attack.  I know how frightening that feeling is & yes I experienced it on the Amlodipine.  I think it people who are predisposed to anxiety already seem to really suffer from it on this drug.  It was so severe for me that my Dr prescribed ant anxiety RX, never questioning that it could be the Amlodipine causing my attacks. Ugh! Thank goodness that I battled through the "attacks" with deep breathing, "rescue remedy" and lavender oil & didn't get addicted to anti anxiety RX's because I would have if I was popping a pill every time I had  an anxious sensation. Hang in there - 

• Posted

Thanks again Debra for the informative and understanding reply. I didn't equate my rapid heartbeat and shaking/sweating as a panic attack because l was sound asleep and wasn't feeling too bad before l went to bed. But like you say your mind takes over your body, and the Amlodopine must emphasize the feelings running riot in the brain. If that was what it was, it was so frightening and l honestly thought l was having a heart attack and wouldn't survive. I also had another attack but smaller, the night after. Thank you for reassuring me anyway. Just hope Doc let's me get off this poison on Tuesday and doesn't insist l take some other alternative. Which no doubt will be as lethal as the others and bring it's own nightmares with it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.