Amlodopine side effects

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi there, I was diagnosed with high bp about a year ago, it was consistantly about 154/95 - so the dr put me on a brand called Zemtard which he said was especially good for tackling the top number ( sorry no technical blurb, early hours of the morning!) anyway these gave me huge boobs and weight gain which I got sick of so about a month ago I asked to be changed, he put me on 10mgs of amlodopine which initially was great the weight dropped off etc but now the side effects are kicking in mainly with me dizziness and feeling light headed also slight tinitus. My bp is now always about 117/84 which I wonder is a bit low, has anyone tried dropping the dosage or would it be better to push for a different type of tablet.  This is most frustrating as I am aware of the dangers of high bp, I am 57, good lifestyle etc but a horrible family history of hypotension. Many thanks.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I'm a believer in Amlodipine, and found that it works better for me by taking 5mg in the morning and 5mg at night. Also exercise is part of the prescription. Oh BTW I'm 75

• Posted

Aaah, thanks for this Bob, I will check with the nurse at my surgery but that sound like a good solution to split the dose, thanks for this. Take carebiggrin
  • Posted

Amlodipine is well known for side effects. Once they start, they don't tend to go away. After about a year and a half, I was switched over to felodipine because of the side effects.

• Posted

RHGB..I'm glad the tablets work for you. Felodipine is in the same class as Amlodipine..they are both Calcium Channel Blockers. Perhaps there is a few ingredients that may be different that makes one work better than the other without nasty side effects.

I was on Amlodipine a few years ago..the 5mgs really didn't do much for the bp, then when the Dr. doubled the dose to 10mgs., my feet & legs swelled, which is a very common but uncomfortable side effect.

I do read different things though. Some articles say that if a certain dosage doesn't work, doubling the dosage isn't a good idea because

that particular medicine isn't working, & by doubling the dose, it increases the chances of the side effects being magnified. Then some articles do say that by upping the dosage, it can work. I have a relative who takes Amlodipine, 5 mgs. Her bp was spiking in the afternoon hours, so her doctor instructed her to take 1/2 tab in the morning, then 1/2 tab in the afternoon. It worked!

I think a lot of things are because our bodies are all different. What works for one, doesn't for the other. 

• Posted

"I'm glad the tablets work for you. Felodipine is in the same class as Amlodipine..they are both Calcium Channel Blockers."

Thanks for that, but I am well aware of what they are (CCB), I've been taking them for three years, since I had a brain haemorrhage. I am aware fo the side effects and when people have these, felodipine is often given as a first alternative. Had these caused problems, then my GP had another option lined up.

I also take beta blockers as well.

• Posted

joanna17875..117/84 isn't too low. You're nudging the 'golden number'., but the 'golden number' isn't so 'golden' these days. Doctors have come to realise that not everyone can reach the 'golden' number..There are factors to consider..the person's age, health status, etc.etc. I think Bob has a good idea suggesting 5mg in the morning, then 5mg at night, but be wary...increasing the dosage CAN magnify side effects. Please read what I wrote about that further down. You could ask your doctor about taking 5mg at split times, ie. 1/2 tab in the morning, then 1/2 tab in the afternoon.

• Posted

Thanks Mike, I really appreciate everyone's comments and as someone said all of us are different and react differently to drugs.  I am going to try with the approval of my dr to split my dosage.  Like you say the nurse at the surgery is really pleased with my readings (sitting) but I do feel a bit 'swimmy' alot of the time - thank you again.

• Posted

joanna17875...I thought about what you wrote...the bit about feeling 'swimmy' a lot of the time. Do you feel that way just at certain times of the day? Do you have days when you don't feel that way? When you're experiencing that sensation, does it seem to suddenly go away..not just ease off, but just goes? It could be something going on in your ear that's causing the 'swimmy' sensation. The ears have a lot to do with those sensations. People are quick to blame the medications, which I don't blame them in a way, but it may not be the medication that's at fault.

• Posted

Hi Mike, thanks for replying, yes I mainly feel swimmy when i am walking, it does settle after I have sat for a while so I may seek advice from my dr.  The issue I feel I have with bp medication is that my lower readings have always been excellent it is only the higher number that is a problem, I do feel that the lower numbers (incudes pulse) are pos too low.  I do appreciate you taking the time to reply and will keep you posted. regards.
    • Posted

Joanna17875... if you're referring to the 117/84 that's a good reading. You say about the higher number. If you mean the 117 I can assure you that's fine. If you mean the 84 that's ok too. Don't worry about it. Stressing pushes the numbers UP. 

• Posted

Hi, I was taking Amlodipine for about 13 years and for some people the side effects may sneak up on you  because it it so gradual.   This was my experience but may not necessarily be yours or others. Amlodipine caused intestinal discomfort which can feel like heart problems because it was primarily on my left side, neck, shoulders, chest (discomfort moved all around) and not to mention the anxiety of thinking it's you ticker.  I ended up in the emergency room twice and was transferred to hospital for a heart cath.  I was so delighted to learn that it was not my heart but I did not associate that it was possibly Amlodipine for 3 years later as the symptoms (side effects) continued to rear their ugly head. I stopped taking it cold turkey for several days as an experiment. Most symptoms subsided especially the one I forgot to mention a feeling of knots in esophagus and lower intestine including this uncomfortable fullness. My doctor agreed to change so I'm very thankful that she is willing to help me find my pathway to healing. I've changed my diet to much smaller meals which really helps but I'm noticing that I cannot eat as much fiber as earlier but I'm slowly trying to incorporate because it's one of the key elements for reducing the cholesterol.  It's definitely like being caught "between a  rock and a hard place" but I'm thankful for these forums because at least I no longer think it was my imagination.  ...hope you find your pathway to better health and an improved quality of life. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.