Amlodopine side effects, weaning off tablets advice

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I've been taking amlodopine for several weeks now for high BP (190 over 90), two weeks at 5 mg and then it was upped to 10mg though my BP had gone down a bit . Over the last week while taking the 10mg I have found my ankles and feet swelling, burning hot and itching, and blurred vision ( I have floaters anyway ) so I have for the last  couple of days cut the 10mg tablet in half and taken half daily. I want to come off them entirely but don't really want to go back to Dr. Can I just stop or should I go back and ask for a smaller dose than 5 mg to wean off gradually? it has been a real help to read that I am not the only one who has side effects from this tablet! Thanks.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Rose, you MUST go back to the Dr.  You must not just stop the Amlodipine of your own accord especially with the high reading that led to the Amlodipine being prescribed. Tell your GP you can't cope with the discomfort and want to stop the Amlodipine.  There are loads of alternative medications for high BP and there is sure to be one that suits you.  I am on my 6th (Losartan Potassium), the first 5 having caused unwanted side effects.  You don't need to wean off Amlodipine gradually as with some drugs, especially after having taken it for such a short time.
    • Posted

Thankyou MrsO, i will go back to the Dr and see what is suggested  but not too encouraged that you are on your 6th try at finding one to suit. Hope this one works for you. 

• Posted

Thank you Rose.  But don't worry because of my experience - I'm just plain awkward as far as medicines are concerned!  We're all different in our response to medicines and just because one person has side effects from a drug it doesn't mean to say that another person will experience the same.....even though Amlodipine seems to be the drug so many people have problems with, I still know people taking it wihout any problem at all.
    • Posted

Hi Rose MrsO has said it all really, but I stopped Amlodipine as I couldn’t bare the problems I was experiencing. I too am on Losartan 50mg combined with Atorvastin 20mg which is keeping my BP at a reasonable level.

Due to Taking Amlodipine my legs really swelled up to quiet a size and took a very long time to reduce with the help of Diuretics which have been stopped, but I have ended up with one leg bigger than the other.

Its best to go back to your GP as there are other BP Medications you can try as one size doesn’t fit all, as sometimes there interactions with other medication that you may be taking

• Posted

Thankyou Paul, I'll see the Dr later in the week. and meanwhile try not to stress, which I believe is the root cause of my high BP. Best wishes to you. 
  • Posted

HiRose...I totally agree with Mrs.O. Do not stop taking the Amlodipine without your doctor's consent. This is a dangerous thing to do. What you are experiencing (swollen feet/ankles, etc.) is a very common side effect of this medication. I know..I exeperienced the same thing, especially when I went from 5mgs to 10mgs. However, a diuretic just may reduce or eliminate the swelling. As for the blurry vision, that may be something to get you off that medication. 

I am experiencing burning feet/legs & it's spreading. Do I blame the Amlodipine?..I surely do!!!. If you read a lot of threads on here, there are several complaints about the Amlodipine. However, there is a very rare condition called Erythromelalgia...which is swelling/burning, etc etc. There is no known cure & it's very difficult to diagnose. It's either misdiagnosed, or underdiagnosed, & the symptoms mimic a  lot of other conditions. I may have this, I don't know...but will discuss with my doctor, coming off the Amlodipine to see if the symptoms reverse or not. My situation could be medicine induced..I'm hoping this is the case.

Again, don't come off the Amlodipine without consulting your doctor. If you truly are uncomfortable with this medication, then by all means ask the doctor for an alternative.

• Posted

Thanks Mike. I had no problems before the amlodipine, so it's definitely that which is causing the various problems some of which I haven't mentioned ( I went to the Dr in the first place with a bad back from years of lifting if he hadn't taken my BP I would never have known and not worried about it lol). I will post if i change meds and find one that is better, but what i won't be doing  because of my experience as a carer is taking other meds to counteract the side effects of the first ( eg diuretics). The quality of life is more important to me than the length of it . But that is just my personal view, not intended  to apply  to anyone else of course. 
    • Posted

Couldn't agree more with your view on taking a medication to counteract the side effects of another - just recently I baulked at the suggestion by my consultant of adding a diuretic to help with the swelling!  Glad I'm not the only one to frustrate the medical profession!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.