Amlopidine

Posted , 8 users are following.

i have just started taking amlopidine 10 mg for blood pressure. I told my doctor that i was concerned about frequent urination. She told me that this medication is old lots of studies were done and it shouldn't be a problem. well i started this medication last night and today i realized that i needed to pee at every break and in between meetings. to top it off i didn't drink much today. i am very concerned that this is the result of my first day and on my birthday too. happy birthday to me. is this what I have to look forward to? Has anyone experienced this and changed to a different med? what did you change to? is there hope?

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I had a similar experience. I'm not a fan nor will never go back to that crap. I think they must get some kick back from the drug companies because it's not cool. After I stopped taking it, my blood pressure was worse than when I started.

• Posted

I am thinking that my doctor has to know that this causes a major increase in frequent urination. I am a bit disappointed that she didn't recommend something else although I told her of my concerns. I have to do some research to see what else is out there. Sounds like i am the doctor here right. I really believe that they get some benefits to dispensing certain medications. I am not sure if I can stay on this for three weeks but she wants to see me back in three weeks for a review. we will see

• Posted

Hello,

The side effects will stop within a few days.

Try this medication for a few weeks and decide if you want to continue with it or not.

Good Luck.

Tip: Discuss with your doctor about taking 5 mg in the morning and 5mg before going to bed. You may then have a mild reaction this way.

• Posted

I am literally about to start this myself and have read alsorts, spoke to numerous people who use it and there can be side effects for the first few days but they tend to stop.

With regards to stopping and bp being higher it is called rebound and is the same with any bp med supposedly unless the problem is addressed that was causing the high bp

• Posted

Starting on 10mg sounds crazy. After a very bad reaction to 5mg I stopped it and instead take 1 magnesium capsule and a glass of beetroot juice a day. My BP is fine and no side effects of course.

• Posted

Its never caused frequent urination for me and ive been on it for 3 yrs. Perhaps start on 5mg and see how it goes. I also take Perindopril . I wouldnt call it 'crap' when we know high BP can cause heart attack and stroke.

• Posted

I agree that 10 mg staring off is very high with Amlodipine. A year ago I went to the doctor and at that visit my BP was pretty high and the doctor insisted that I take something and prescribed this same drug at the same dosage. That night I thought I would not be alive the next morning, I experienced symptoms that were frightening, I had chest pains, shortness of breath and the arches of my feet were very painful. I called the doctor the next morning and told her I would not take it again and she advised me that I would "get used" to those symptoms.

Making a long narrative shorter, I never took it again and I decided that I would not take any medication at all. I am with Margaret and I use natural methods to control my BP and to enjoy good health. If there are people who do not create a healthy lifestyle to include exercise, supplements, plenty of clean water and whole foods then medication might be better than nothing.

My biggest concern with most medications today is that they redirect chemical impulses in your body that might curb one problem, but result in more serious problems elsewhere. Dehydration is a serious concern for anyone who is urinating often, but has no desire to drink water. I do not choose to have my body chemistry altered because I think it was designed pretty well in the beginning and has worked well for me for 74 years and I'm sticking with the original plan.

• Posted

Brilliant Eileen. It is possible to remain healthy following what you say. I am 82, not on any medication and extremely healthy. People should understand "white coat high BP" is very common but doctors never take it into account. If you buy a BP monitor and take it yourself I'm sure it would be several points below what it is when anybody in a white coat takes it.

• Posted

I took my first tablet this morning and realised this afternoon when checking my BP that my pulse/heart rate was 100-115 yet all my other readings have being between 60 and 85 so rung the doctors. Went to see a Dr who has told me to stop this and try without any BP meds as I am young and the high BP has being less than a month plus my kidney, liver bloods all fine he isn't too concerned over 160/110 BP and thinks it is all in my head to stop measuring and do more without thinking about my BP....... makes ya wonder why one day 160/110 can be dangerous next it is ok as it is short term haha.

• Posted

thanks for your responses everyone. so this is day three of the medication and today I was fine. no frequent trips to pee. I realized that i was very thirsty, and my mouth was dry. At first i was afraid to drink water as i was stuck in traffic for more than an hour. I decided that i am going to just drink the water anyway and i was fine. I don't even have leather seats.

I am active, vegetarian, maybe 20- 25 pounds extra weight. my Father has high bp. my mom had it as well she had a stroke last October. She recovered fully then passed suddenly of a blood clot that went to her lungs this past February.

I am a big fan of the natural way of medicine ; however after the speech from my doctor gave me and my research about the damage that high blood pressure can cause to the kidneys and also damage of a stroke, I thought that i needed to try this pill. I will ask about the 5 mg if necessary, but so far day three no visible or physical concerns.

i guess my next question is does people ever get off this medication ? or has anyone here gotten off of this pill after their bp was brought under control?

• Edited

Hello there,

Once you start using BP medications you don 't stop taking them bcos your pressure starts elevating again. The causes of BP is very often hereditary, so there is nothing you can do about that. My grand father was bedridden for 10 years because of a stroke, he never recovered. He was 60 then and died 10 years later. My father was diagnosed with high blood pleasure in his sixties. I had it in my my 40's. I do not smoke, and do not add salt in my meals.

I have used supplements in the past but they did not help. I tried magnesium, co-enzyme Q10 , garlic supplements etc.

It is therefore amazing that a small tablet that costs almost nothing, does help.

We are all different. Try to find out what helps you personally. But please do not take your diagnoses lightly, treat it to avoid problems later.

• Posted

THANK YOU VICTORIA, TIDAY I NOTICE MY FEET WERE SWELLING THUS HAS NEVER HAPPENED TO ME. I CAN ONLY ASSUME THIS IS DUE TO THE PILL. THIS IS THE ONLY THING THAT HAS CHANGED IN MY LIFE LATELY. I AM WONDERING IF ANYONE ELSE MAY HAVE EXPERIENCED THIS. I AM THINKING OF ASKING MY DOCTOR TO LOWER MY DOSAGE TOMORROW.

• Posted

i just started on 5 mg after being given ramiplil and being so sick with the worst cough ever and very happy so far no side effect at all . compare to ramiplil this is wonderful . i am very active , eat well and i don't want medication but dr insist i ought to take it 135/90

• Posted

i just started on 5 mg after being given ramiplil and being so sick with the worst cough ever and very happy so far no side effect at all . compare to ramiplil this is wonderful . i am very active , eat well and i don't want medication but dr insist i ought to take it 135/90

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.