Amlopidine and post nasal drip

Posted , 8 users are following.

Have been prescribed Amlopidine to treat high BP. Now have a continual post nasal drip, which I've never had in my life before.  

Has anyone else had similar symptom?

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi I have been on Amlopidine for about 7 years I also suffer from some thing similar

coughing lots of mucus hacked up sounds awful, often in the morning, after sneezing and sometimes for no reason at all.  I did mention to the doctor that one of the side effects listed was rhinitis but they seemed to dismiss it. It does not help that I have asthma, and reflux which cause similar problems.  I would see the doctor again, there are other bp drugs they can give you.  Please read other posts about this drug.  As I get older I do wonder about all these different combinations of drugs and whether they sometimes cause more problems than they treat.  Hope this is of some help.  All the best to you.

• Posted

Before I went on bp meds, I had a severe, heavy, cough for YEARS.  I had it for 2 months running and twice a year (that means 4 months out of every year!).  It was so bad that you could hear me coughing in the audience on the tape of every Christmas play that my daughter was in.  I started taking 5,000mg of Vitamin C and 1,000iu of Vitamin E every day and the cough was gone in 3 days and has never returned.  It has been over 15 years now, and I continue to take the Vitamins.  They are both available at Costco (Price Club) and are very cheap.  Now I take Benicar 20mg and Amlodipine 2.5mg and still no sinus problems.
    • Posted

Thanks for this.  I wonder the same thing!  I've stopped taking Amolpidine.  Someone else said it had been banned in Holland because the side effects outweigh the benefits.  
  • Posted

Hilouise21984....when you first start takeing Amlodipine some people get flue like symptoms such as a runney nose that useualy gos away in about 2 weeks. There are a lot of other side effects that some get that lasts a lot longer. I hope you get better soon all the best.....len 7.
    • Posted

Thanks, Len7.  It's not the side effects that bother me, it's why they're happening and what else is being affected that we don't know about.  The swollen ankles symptom isn't good at all, because our legs act like pumps don't they - an important part of the circulation.  I'm not at all sure about Amlopidine, really...
  • Posted

Before I went on bp meds, I had a severe, heavy, cough for YEARS.  I had it for 2 months running and twice a year (that means 4 months out of every year!).  It was so bad that you could hear me coughing in the audience on the tape of every Christmas play that my daughter was in.  I started taking 5,000mg of Vitamin C and 1,000iu of Vitamin E every day and the cough was gone in 3 days and has never returned.  It has been over 15 years now, and I continue to take the Vitamins.  They are both available at Costco (Price Club) and are very cheap.  Now I take Benicar 20mg and Amlodipine 2.5mg and still no sinus problems.
  • Edited

I have been taking amlodipine 5grm for about 2 years now. I suddenly developed postnasal drip which has been ongoing since April 2020.

• Posted

Hi there yes i suffer with postnasal drip and sinus problems. I take 10mg Amlodopine i probably should ask to change meds but as its working i just keep taking it. i am trying to get off meds by losing weight and cutting out Alcohol and salt from my diet.

• Posted

I have been on Amlodipine for 2 years but about 3 months ago I developed symptoms of post nasal drip. ENT could not find anything wrong after a nasal camera observation. Don't know if the pills have changed as the packaging & shape of my pills changed about 3 months ago. Also I still have high blood pressure! I am contacting my surgery for a review of this medication.

• Posted

Hi Louise ,my story with Lodi , Grommets , blocked Etruscan tube, polyps removed, dry mouth, keep drinking tea up to 15 cups a day, fair enough might be the other meds , i,m taking for BP

mucus in nose , flem back of throat , nasal spray , to help breathe, swollen ankles, , but just me i just might have found some thing that is helping D Ribose , I dont see anyone here mentioning Constipation , plus the need to pee all the time , how to cure the dry mouth & stop drinking tea that is causing me to pee . i have stopped the water tabs , typing this now have go get a drink tea .lol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.