Amlopidine and pseudo ephedrine

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've been really badly congested and bought some OTC pseudo ephedrine capsules from the pharmacy but having taken a few I noted that it says not to take if you have high BP.  I'm on Amlopidine 10mg daily but BP now down to about 140/80, am I OK to continue taking the pseudo ephedrine or should I stop it? anyone know anything about this combination?

Thanks

Lizzie

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Guys,

I am just going to give you all my thoughts, and let you know what I do.

I have been having health problems for quite a few years now -- I plug one hole, and a get another leak.  I think they all go back to (undiagnosed, but it really has to be) B12 deficiency. I take B12, because it is safe, but deficiency is hard to diagnose, and you don't know you are deficient until you start sliding down hill.  This is especially true for vegetarians.

1) Do as I say, not as I do, and excercise.  Really push it and get that heart rate up.

2) Not only did I have all the classic signs of B12 deficiency, but I had a lot of more subtle ones too, including a headache over my eye that was like a knife twisting non-stop from March until December.  Sudafed helped a bit, but only a bit. When Zyrtec came out, I started taking that, and within two weeks, found the headaches managable, and after a few years, though I still had headaches every day, they were nothing like before.  My BP was excellent all this time.

3)  I was pregnant, and at the doctor's office, they kept writing off my 130/90 BP as "White Coat Syndrome"  (watch out!  They all want to do that.)  I went into labor, and my BP shot up suddenly to 240/170.  No meds were given afterward.  With my second, I was given BP meds before, durin, and after.  Ever since then, I have had high blood pressure 140/ 93 which would go up to 203/125 (rarely) whether I was on meds or not.  Now, with my hyper active thyroid, I am on low meds, many don't work, all of which I have had some problems with, 

• Posted

Sorry, I had technical difficulties:

So anyway, my BP is not typical.

4) I developed ASTHMA while on Amlodipine.  Watch out for Hydrchlorothiazide too.  Inhalers don't help too much.  Last week, I started taking Turmeric to help alleviate inflamation.  While I was having an asthma attack -- short breaths, cough, tight chest -- it was time to take my Turmeric.  I was not taking it because of the attack, it was just time to take it.  Within 5 minutes, my attack stopped, and I can breathe deeper and deeper each day.  The one I am taking is Curcuma Longe 1200mg, Cucuminoids, 100mg. 

5) To get off of my BP meds, I halved my dose every day for two weeks, then took the half dose every other day for two weeks, then every third day for two weeks, then, nothing.  You can do it more gradually, but I would not recommend any faster.  Whenever I take long term meds, I always step down my dose in order to go off of them.

6)  I personally feel better when I drink milk or eat dairy, so go by yourself for dairy or no.

7)  I have come to really believe in vitamins:

B12 10,000 mcg a day

Magnesium I take two caplets a day

D3 NOT D2 1,000 to 4,000 units a day

B2 -- great for headaches -- 500 mg a day

Iron -- if you are a man, or menopausal, 1-2 a week Feosol Bifera 28 mg, premenopausal, 4-7 a week.  Bifera has Heme type of iron, so don't take if you are vegan

Zinc -- 30 mg a day

A good B Complex

Cod Liver Oil -- I am not currently taking it, but I think it is a good idea

A good Multi Vitamin

A banana a day

Apple Cider Vinegar tablets 1 tablet twice a day

I don't know the atomic permutations like some people, but these make me feel a whole lot better, have really helped/cured some problems, and, I am very comfortable with the doses.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.