Amoldipine - dangerous drug - don't take

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have been on this for about 18 months firstly on 5mg then 10. My husband was recently put on it too. He had swollen ankles, mood swings, bouts of depression, insomnia, pains in his legs etc etc. He went back to his doctors after about 3 months and said he didn't want to take them any more & his doctor changed them. I had been feeling very unwell for some time but not connected it with the tablets as the effects were gradual.I was severely fatigued. I also had swollen ankles & pains in my joints & muscles which had now become so severe that I could no longer walk around the block -having previously been a big walker all my life- I had to link my husband for support whenever i went out,& I have great difficulty getting in & out the car . I decided to read the side effects list & nearly everything on it applied to me. My doctor had put the joint pains down to arthritis & was issuing me with painkillers like no tomorrow but things came to a head when I tried to lift a cup of tea & couldn't. I highlighted everything on the side effects list that applied to me &went to see my GP. She agreed to change the tablets just to humour me I think. That was two weeks ago & the difference has been incredible. The pains in nearly all my joints has totally disappeared & I am having to relearn to walk the way I used to (you adjust the way you walk so you suffer the least amount of pain) & I feel like my life is back on track. I cannot believe how much I have suffered as a result of these tablets. AVOID THEM LIKE THE PLAGUE.

3 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Glad you have discovered what is causing all your pain after so long. Insiduous aren't they these drugs? I put up with side effects for 3 years just thinking I was getting old and would have to learn to put up with things. THEN I discovered this site, had a sudden realisation of what was happening to me, came off the Amlodoipine and I am now back to normal smile 
  • Posted

Doesn't effect everyone - I have been on them for 15 years without any problems whatsoever - but I also don't read the data sheets, as the drugs companies tend to put everything on it so they can't be sued!!

A few months ago I reduced to 5 mg, mainly because of starting long term steriods for PMR, my GP reduced because my BP was consistantly below borderline.   In the last couple of weeks I have reduced again to 2.5 mg.  The steriods were started at 30 mg and now 11 months later I'm on 6.5 mg and have not had any side effect from the Amlodipine!!    Good rule of thumb is - we are all different and to use your quote 'aviod them like the plague' would apply to the vast majority of drugs BUT fortunally in my case and many others they are a life saver!!

• Posted

I have been on Amlodipine for over 5 years. I developed nerve pain in my legs.

I decided to take myself off Amlodipine because I was unable to sleep.

Two days later nerve pain had gone. But now have fluid on my knees and spinal problems and frozen shoulder.  

Now I know it could be related to low oestrogen after the menopause but I am loathe to try taking amlodipine again because the pain Peripheral Neuopathy was so bad.

• Posted

Sorry to hear what you have been through, I also had problems with Amlodipine, I was prescribed as my BP was very high through stress and apparently they work quite quickly, I was taking for about 7 Months and then started waking up in the night with a dead leg! This happened a few times, on one occasion I must have tried to get out of bed and I somehow broke my foot! Had a cast on for 6 weeks I went from a active woman to feeling a mess! I am 37 yrs old! Fortunately back to normal now. I found out that this drug is banned in most countries and only used for veterinary practice! I hope that you are both feeling better now - horrible drug!
  • Posted

Hi patricia1958

Sorry you had such a hard time with Amlo, I have had exactly the same symptoms as you!

What new tablets did your doctor put you on to?  This might be something that I can tell my GP.  Glad you are feeling so much better, I am looking forward to getting my life back, at the moment I just dont recognise myself     

• Posted

i take medicardis , Norvasc, amidophine, Hydrochlorothforiazide  I'm also taking Ivig for PIDS I wake up tired go to bed tired muscle spasms arms legs  blury leaking eyes doctors have no clue HELP!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.