amount of fat you can eat per meal help

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello folks, my name is Shelley and I have PCOS. I am 5ft 7 and weigh 16stone 0lbs, I will be getting Orlistat soon once the hospital have written to my GP, and i have started on a low fat diet in preparation and lost 19lbs in a month ( I was 17st 5lbs ). 

I understand that you can't eat more than 15g of fat per meal, and no more than 45g per day, but what i can't understand is this 'no more than 5g per 100g' thing. if you had a food high in fat but only ate a very small portion of it, so the fat cotent for that meal was less than the 15g, wouldn't that be ok still?

Is it just fat we are supposed to watch? I know that jelly babies are low in fat but obviously high in sugar, but if they're low in fat, surely they wouldn't give you the squits? 

Since finding this forum, i have become a bit confused and need help, i have no problem with restricting the fat in my diet, but if i have to start watching sugar too and anything else, i am going to start feeling deprived and will struggle.

Please help, thank you in advance. Shelley

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

This might help to clear up some confusion in the question. here is an example, i have a rice crispie square bar, it is 14g per 100g, but a bar is 5g. Now, the 5g in 100g rule would say i can't have it, but yet the actual item you eat only contains 5g, which can form part of your 15g per meal allowance. this is where i'm getting confused!!
  • Posted

Hello. I've been taking orlistat for about 3 plus weeks now and have had no problems with the 5% fat thing. I have actually found I can go up to about 7. I've lost 12 pounds so far. The sugar thing.......my weakness!!! Yes it is high in calories but it has kept me sane. A few haribo or some sweets. There is no fat in sugar, it is fine to eat. I have not counted any calories since starting on orlistat and yes I probably eat more sugar than I should but I have to have some vice or I'd go bonkers lol. There's also no fat in alcohol, just calories 
  • Posted

Always read the labels and read what they say per 100g. Manufacturers like to catch you out. Never read what the front of the packet says 
  • Posted

i can't understand why you have to look at the fat per 100g when you might only be eating say 20g of it...surely as long as the meal itself doesn't go over the 15g, it shouldn't matter if the individual ingredients are over the 5% in 100g rule as you're only having a fraction of it??
  • Posted

sorry, i should have said thank you julie for your reply! how rude of me, sorry.
  • Posted

I prefer to look at the amount per 100g as that way the math is easier to know how much fat is in the food. A packet of crisps that weigh 22g for example znd say on the front 7g fat. If you look on the back the crisps are actually something like 30g fat per 100g so they're a very fatty food. So by looking at the entire label I've come to understand how fatty foods are. Manufacturers are very deceiving 
    • Posted

Thank you julie, i understand a bit more now! I need to re-learn again what i won't be able to have when i get the tablets...
  • Posted

Wow well done u 19 pounds what was u eating to lose that much it's great! I also have pcos and I'm new to these I lost 4lb last week but nothing so far this week  also a bit  confused too lol
    • Posted

Hi Gemma, thank you. I guess you could say i am a food addict, i was eating a LOT of chocolate and drisps and cake things before, and my portion sizes were out of control, my meals are healthy but too large. basically i have cut the amount of fat i was eating to between 10g and 25g a day, before if actually found out how much you could actually eat on the orlistat, now i know i can have more! I'm not actually on the pills yet, but i thought when i do get the call from the doctors i would show them my food diary of what i have been doing. I had a boo-boo this morning after my night shift i had a bacon barm from a shop, oops! but my reasoning is that i wouldn't have done that had i been on the pills, one wrong thing at the moment won't hurt me! i will make sure my tea is low fat to comensate!  you keep it up, i'm sure some weeks are harder than others. x
  • Posted

Hi Shelley, I know the 5g per 100g is very confusing but if you don't want to have any little accidents I would highly recommend you stick to it, but like Julie said some people can tolerate more fat and not have any accidents. All I can say is it's trial and error. I have lost 21lb so far it's been hard and it's taking it's time but it's coming off slowly. Good luck with your weight loss. X
    • Posted

Thank you rachel, and well done on your weight loss! i'mnot on the tablets yet as i'm waiting for a consultant to give the go ahead to my doctors to give me them. I'm just a bit miffed because now due to that 5g per 100g takes out a lot more food which i have been eating in the last month. I will have to re-educate myself again now, there's a lot of stuff i bought which i won't be able to have on the pills. Slow and steady wins he race! Best wishes. x

• Posted

Hi, I was given these tablets yesterday and I am doing slimming world, So now I realise I cant have cheese no more... HOLY CRAP... I was ok yesterday, I guess they are just kicking in today, I made some shortbread and had one, wish I hadnt of. I dont know if the tablets are just starting to work, but TMI alrert my bottom hurts. I have eaten, omlette this morning with a sprinkle of cheese in my allowance on SW, lunch was a weight watcher bread sandwhich, dinner was chicken, new pot lots of veg, one of those oven cooked things. Hoping I am not on the toilet all night. My doctor didnt give me any rules on the diet, so I take it only 5g of fat per 100 each item. so even though I am allowed cheese on slimming world all be it 30g a day i best not have this going forward.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.