Amount of rest and pain meds 5 weeks out of TKR

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi All,

I am at 5 weeks out of total knee replacement.  I am a 61 year old female, and was very active prior to knee problems, activly hiking, riding my horses, running my business, etc.  My surgeon and PT keep telling me that I am ahead of the curve, but I don't feel like it.  Reading the progress of some of you, makes me want to ask a few questions.  I do realize that everyone heals differently, but I am trying to get a good picture of what this process should look like.  I am doing my PT exercises regularly, and attending PT 2 times per week.  I just need to rest so much between attempting to do any task.  If I mop the floor, or run a quick vacuum, prepare a meal for my family, etc. I need to lay down for at least 30 minutes to an hour.  When I do my PT, it leaves me wasted for the next day, and I need even more rest.  My surgeon has released me to drive, and has told me that I should be getting back to my regular routine.  My routine is very busy!  I run a cosmetic business, I take care of horses, etc.  Getting back to this routine seems impossible at this point!  I drove one day, and I have gone grocery shopping with my husband twice.  I visited my horses for the first time yesterday, so I am trying to get back with it.  I appreciate your time in  answering:

1.  How much rest is too much rest at 5 weeks in?  I seem to spend 75% of my time resting either on the bed, or in a recliner.

2.  How long did you need to continue taking the pain meds?  They keep me groggy.  I am trying to cut down, using 1/2 pill at a time.  After PT I have to take a whole pill.

3.  How long before you were able to get back into some kind of normal routine?

Thank you for taking the time to respond.  Blessings on your recovery!

Laura   

1 like, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

As everyone has stated, each recovery is unique. I weaned myself off of pain meds at 5 weeks. I am now almost 3 months post op ( May 5) but perform a physical job. I just finished PT but need to continue working on range of motion and strength. The tightness you will feel is a result of swelling and that can take up to a year to go away from what I've read. My PT told me to work on stretching at home, but not to the point where you need a day to recover.. it will come, just give it time.

• Posted

It's taken a year plus for me to feel recovered and my knees to feel like a better version of what they were..Please take it slowly. Lower your expectations and do what you can. Trust me, once you are healed you can return to a far improved life but it takes ages. Or it did with me. Medications are to ease pain. Slowly reduce and if pain persists keep taking them or switch to simple paracetamol. Allow 2-3 months to wean off heavy hitters. What's the hurry? Good luck.xx

• Posted

Thank you for your reply, Lyn.  I am glad you have recovered and can share your positive experience.  Laura
  • Posted

Wow! You are certainly ahead of where I was at 5 weeks. It's no wonder you are tired. There is no way I could have vacuumed, mopped or cooked a family dinner at that point. I was still having severe pain, icing and elevating 8-10 times a day, spending most of my time in my recliner and taking an afternoon nap. Definitely no grocery shopping, and the only time I left my apartment was when my son picked me up for PT. I'm 10 weeks post TKR and just today vacuumed my whole apartment for the first time. It was exhausting and painful! Last week I drove for the first time. I'm single, so cooking family dinners was not a concern, but at 5 weeks I was able to throw a frozen dinner in the microwave or pour a bowl of cereal. Let your husband do the cooking. Or get take out.

1) There is no such thing as too much rest at 5 weeks. As long as you are doing your home and outpatient PT, and getting up at least once an hour and walking around the house, resting is what you SHOULD be doing, in my opinion.

2) I'm on my last refill of Norco and trying to make it last. Still have moderate pain but I can go longer during the day without taking a pill. Need it the most before and after PT, before bed and during the night. If your pain pills make you groggy, perhaps talk to your doctor about switching to something different. 

3) Have no clue when I'll be able to get back to a normal routine. I'll be going back to work in two weeks but just part time at first and slowly add more hours. Will take it day by day, week by week and see how it goes. My employer is very understanding and will pretty much let me work as many hours as I'm able.

Your surgeon may think it's time for you to get back to your normal routine, but he's not the one who had the knee replacement. You know what's best for you, and if "getting back to this routine seems impossible at this point" then it is! As others have said, take it slow and lower your expectations. Your new knee will thank you!

• Posted

Hi Terise,

You certainly put this all into perspective for me.  Your journey sounds a lot like mine.  I didn't mean to sound as if I was tackling these different tasks with ease, they all knocked me out for the rest of each day that I attempted them!  Thank you!  I hope you move beyond your pain soon.

Laura 

• Posted

Hi!  At 5 weeks out from a TKR -

1.  there's no such thing as too much rest!! 

2.  depends which pain meds you're on  - take your meds before the PT session

3.  I've had 2 totally different recoveries - I don't think there is a "normal routine"

From what you've said you're doing really well.  Keep up the exercise, taking your meds before a session should help.  If you feel like you're up for your "normal" routine - do it, if not don't.

• Posted

Thank you Cheryl, it's so good to hear different perspectives.  I feel that I am not alone in this long haul.  I hope you are well on your way to recovery!  Laura

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.