Amoxicillin, 500mg 3X/day, abscess seems worse after 50 hours. OK?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Large abscess along jaw, not inside mouth.  Didn't hurt that much.  Go to dentist.  Abscess, he says.  Pull the tooth in a week (it's clearly rotten). Meantime, 500mg Amoxicillin 3X day.  Cool.

After almost 53 hours (8-9 doses), swelling not better outside and now bulging up (a sac) between cheek and gums now, sort of reddish, bleeding on toothbrush.

Seems to me it ought to at least not be getting worse (if it's getting worse), swelling not increasing and not moving around like that.  

I can live with it so far, and I will call the dentist on Monday (today is Saturday) about it, but it would be nice to know that this is, if not common, not bad.  My past experience with this kind of thing, it seems that the antibiotics "calmed" things down within two days.  Not happening this time.  Give it more time?

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Call dentist sounds like he might consider a different antibiotic.  Augmentum or a gran positive.  I wouldn’t wait and see with an abscess.  Your lymp system has to get rid of the infection until he does.  
  • Posted

It depends how many tablets you take a day. More tablets work faster but they run out quicker. Just follow your dentists orders.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.