Amoxicillin didn’t work?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was prescribed antibiotics for what my doctor said was 'sinus issues'. I finished my course and there was no improvement. I still have on going symptoms which are a blocked and inflamed nose (it alternates between which side is blocked), post nasal drip, on and off sore throat and occasional tiredness and fuzzy head. Can anyone help with what this could be etc?

Thanks

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Paige,

Sorry to hear that the antibiotics didn't work for you though it is worth mentioning that this is not uncommon. Some sinus issues are caused by a virus and not bacteria and in these cases antibiotics will not work. I too suffer from sinus problems and antibiotics have not always worked for me in clearing the symptoms. Have you tried steam inhalation or a nasal spray to help open up your nasal passages? This often provides me with some relief. It may be worth asking your GP for a prescription nasal spray as this may help you. It is also worth highlighting that your problems may be due to allergies, also worth exploring with your GP perhaps?

Hope you soon feel better.

Sarah.

• Posted

coming from someone who has had 4 sinus surgeries for nasal polyps i highly recommend u get a referral from your doctor to a ear nose throat doctor that can do a scan of your head to determine if you have nasal polyps, from the sounds of it id say you possibly do. better safe than sorry. trust me when i say that the symptoms will only get worse. i would get severe sinus migraines and my head would feel all lopsided. polyps are horrible but the surgery is easy and outpatient. best of luck to you!

• Posted

A head MRI is best for showing tumours, lesions on the brain e.c.t. Sinus problems are best diagnosed by CT scan.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.