Amplodipine

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi All,

I have just found this discussion forum and I am relieved to see others are having similar experiences with this drug. However, it is not myself I am concerned about, but my mother.

My mother was given this drug in February and told it had exactly the same ingredients as her previous drug but was cheaper. After months of worry with her being sent for tests for alzheimer's and brain scans all of which have proved negative, I am now convinced that this drug is to blame.

The problem is I have tried to discuss this with my mother's GP twice now and have been told that the drug is keeping her BP under control and virtually dismisses the side effects she is experiencing although I hardly recognise her anymore. She is constantly fatigued, losing her memory and looks like a zombie. I am so frustrated because I just feel I am losing my mum but nobody seems to care.

Can I insist that she does not take this drug and is given an alternative? The problem is she also has type 2 diabetes and is on statins which have just been changed from 40mg simvastatin to 10mg atorvastatin because of the recent health alert and I am obviously worried that I might be responsible for doing the wrong thing.

I just want my mum back.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Me164

I would asked for a second opinion from another GP in your mothers practice or if you have a walk in clinic in a local hospital go down there with your Mum and pass on your fears about your mum health to them .

• Posted

Mel64 I definitely think you should seek a second opinion about your Mum.  I am getting sick of people's well-being being tossed aside just so long as the BP is what the GPs want it to be.  If someone is distressed about anything theyn the BP goes up which is something I can't get from my GP.  My lovelyDoctor died last August and I had been with him for 12 years and he managed me very well.  Now there is a succession of younger Doctors who just don't seem to have the interest.  The one I have had to deal with lately doesn't even look at you when she is prescribing which annoys me greatly and I have spoken to someone about it.  This is a serious subject and a lot of people seem ot have problems with this drug so........time someone looked at it.  Please seek help because your Mum isobvious not comfortable and she deserves to be.  Hope you get some help.
  • Posted

See https://patient.info/forums/discuss/amlodipine-besilate-vs-amlodipine-maleate-271540

Your doctor is saying exactly the same ingredients. Has your mother been switched from one form of amlodipine to another (like my wife). If so, the solution may be to revert back to the original form she was prescribed (my guess is that your mother was originally on besilate and got switched to maleate). My wife is fine with the besilate but just cannot tolerate the maleate. Just a thought.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.