Ampolodine 10 mg been taking for 6 weeks now stopped

Posted , 8 users are following.

bad swollen ankles and feet /legs.

how long does it take for swelling to go after stopping tablets

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

It usually can take up to a week for the tablets to leave the system. Antibiotics usually 2 weeks, but I know that my BP tablets take about a week.
    • Posted

Thanks for that.Ampolodine is renowned for ankle swelling I have now found out why do they prescribe it? It's only 2 days since I have stopped taking and the legs and ankles are the same  ok in the morning then they swell up. Have to be patient.
  • Posted

Paul, I noticed a reduction in the swelling within a couple of days but I would say it took up to about 4 weeks to disappear completely as I also had a lot of inflammation, reddening and a rash around the lower legs, the latter eventually diagnosed as varicose eczema, all due to the Amlodipine.  I am seemingly extra sensitive to many of the BP lowering drugs but I will never take Amlodipine again  

It is all caused by a build up of fluid in that area by the Amlodipine.  You could take a diuretic to help get rid of the fluid, but personally, I think it's better to let nature take its course and get one medication out of your system and rid yourself of the side effects before embarking on another.  Something that will definitely help is to eat as many foods as possible that are known to have a diuretc effect, such as celery, asparagus, fennel and melon. 

If it's any help for your future treatment, my hubby was taking a 5mg starting dose of Amlodipine which proved ok until they upped the dose to the 10mg that you've been taking.  When he complained to the GP about the swelling, the GP lowered it back down to 5mg and added in another low dose of another BP lowering pill, Ramipril (an Ace Inhibitor).  He has been fine on this low dose combination.

• Posted

I meant to add that if you add salt to your food or eat lots of salty processed foot, then cutting them out for a while will also help.
    • Posted

Thank you I think your right let nature take its course I been given a low dose of anetenenol seeing a cardiogolist on Monday about a pacemaker not long fitted so I will see what he thinks.
    • Posted

Paul, I read recently that in rare cases Amlodipine can cause heart block.  Hubby has been taking it for a few years now but just a year ago he collapsed in the early hours when visiting the bathroom one morning, I called the paramedics and they diagnosed total heart block, took him to hospital where he had a pacemaker inserted later that day.  

Obviously the Amlodipine is not the reason for you having a pacemaker fitted recently as you say you only started the pills 6 weeks ago, but it does leave a big question over my hubby's experience.

• Posted

Hi The reason for the Pacemaker was low pulse rate and I wasn't taking Amlodipine then. My blood pressure was never that high. But the swelling seems hard to go and I have never had the problem before the tablet. One wonders why if they know the tablet does this why they prescribe it!
    • Posted

Paul, that's good that you were being monitored and the slow heart rate was discovered and pacemaker fitted in good time.  No-one discovered hubby's heart rate was low - perhaps the annual checks carried out when on BP meds should be carried out more frequently.

Unfortunately, it isn't just Amlodipine that can cause the swelling/fluid retention side effect.  That side effect is listed on some other BP lowering drugs as well.

Be patient, I'm sure your swelling will go down now that you've stopped the Amlodipine, especially if you follow earlier advice to reduce your salt intake, try and include some known diuretic foods and drink plenty of water.  Then I hope they will find you a drug without that side effect.  Do let us know how you get on.

• Posted

Fluid build up is the MAJOR side effect of this drug.   When I started on it a year or so ago my doc  had me take 5mg and at the 30 day mark, the swelling hit me.  Since I take grape seed extract anyway for many years, I upped my dose for a short time and the fluid left me.   

Now I take 25mg Atenolol and 25mg Hydrochlorizide (diuretic) and then she added the 5mg Amplo...............,  so after much discussion here, I dropped my 5mg dose to 2.5mg dose and some days did not take it.....

Prior to this my BP  at her office came in at 130/70.....with the change I made to lower dose,  the other day when I saw her to go over labs, my BP came in at 190/70, then 30 minutes later took it again and it was 160/82....so it was coming down....but we talked about change the med but didn't so I'm back on 5mg and taking it most days with my other two.

This BP issue is something else....up and down like a  yo yo.....with and without drugs....  We've had long discussions on the way our BP issues are handled by the medical world.....   Joy 

• Posted

Yes, same here Joy,"up and down like a yo-yo" - in the low 130's a week or two ago and last night 189/89!  Going to try and concentrate on having a relaxing day today.  
    • Posted

Thanks for your comments just hope the selling recedes now I have stopped Ampolodine.
  • Posted

Hi Paul,

It took about 1 week for the swelling in my ankles to go down but the aching in the back of my legs stopped after about two days.

I am now taking Lisiniprol, side effects being a dry cough!

• Posted

Try taking grape seed extract (Health shops). I have been taking it for 2 weeks now and it has had a dramatic effect on my BP, which is now 125/79. My husband has also been taking it and when he visited the Dr's last week, she was really pleased with his BP. Look it up on internet and read about it.

• Posted

Nannylynn,  how do you take it - I assume it is in pill form?  Does it come with a leaflet listing any possible side effects?
    • Posted

I've just looked up grape seed extract and found the following on WebMD:

"What are the risks of taking grape seed extract?

Side effects. Grape seed extract is generally considered safe. Side effects may include headache, itchy scalp, dizziness, and nausea.

Risks. People allergic to grapes should not use grape seed extract. If you have a bleeding disorder or high blood pressure, talk to your doctor before you start using grape seed extract.

Interactions. If you take any medicines regularly, talk to your doctor before you start using grape seed extract. It could interact with drugs like blood thinners, NSAID painkillers (like aspirin, Advil, and Aleve), certain heart medicines, cancer treatments, and others.

Given the lack of evidence about its safety, grape seed extract is not recommended for children or for women who are pregnant or breastfeeding."

Always wise to check out everything you buy over the counter, including herbs and vitamins, for any interactions with meds we are already taking.

• Posted

My husband and I have had no side effects at all. I am hoping to come off all BP meds and just take grapeseed. I am only on 5mg Lisinopril now. Must not take if on blood thinners. you can get capsules and tablets,I get them through Simply Supplements on line.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.