AMS 800 sphincter

Posted , 3 users are following.

Has anyone had one of these devices put in?    Ever since my urethra reconstuction surgery I have no control what so ever when I go.  This device is supposed to fix the problem or at least get me down to one pad per day.  As for now I am using a condom catheter during the day and depends and pads at night.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Ken,  I am due to have this surgery on December 7.   I had GreenLight TURP surgery in March of this year that has left me totally incontinemt.  A second TURP cleanup procedure didn't help the situation, nor did months of PT doing Kegels and using an electro stimulation device.   I've talked to two men who have AMS 800 devices, and they are both very happy with the result.

• Posted

Good morning Glenn.  Thanks for getting back with me.  My surgery is December 7th also.  I lost my prostate to cancer 16 years ago and the radiation treatments I received 8 years later had caused quite a bit of tissue damage in my urethra.  They went in back in July and removed the bad section which left me completly incontinent also.  Good luck on the on Pearl Harbor day.
    • Posted

Glenn77,  how did you surgery go?  How is your recovery?  My scrotum is still quite a bit swollen and soar and going through about 5 depends a day.  Sure hope this device works.  They are going to activate mine the first week of February.  Let me know how you are doing sir.
    • Posted

Unfortunately, the procedure was aborted when two strictures were found at the start of the procedure.  (The doctor always does a cystoscopy at the beginning to make sure nothing has been missed.)  He then did a ballon dilation to open the strictures and I was sent to recovery.  I was anesthetize, intubated, etc., so I had to deal with two days of sore throat and the dissapoinment.   My first doctor here in GSO either hadn't found, or didn't disclose the to my new doctor any information about a strictures.  I'm sure it came from and injuries during either the Greenlight, the Gyrus TURP or the two cystoscopic procedures.

Now I have to wait another 3 months to see if the dilations will hold.  If they do, I should be able to have the AMS implanted.  If they don't, I think there will be some more involved procedure. sad

• Posted

I'm sorry to hear about your problems Glenn.  Hopefully everything will work out for you.  I sure hope this implant works for me.  It's starting to sound like it will be painful everytime I use it.  I guess time will tell.  I will keep you posted as things progress.  Sure wish there was someone on here that has had this done in the last year or so that could let me know on their experiences.  Meanwhile take care.

• Posted

Ken,  wondering if you had your AMS 800 implant last December 7.

Glenn

• Posted

Morning Glenn,

Yes I did.  They had a hard time trying to activate it so it was not activated until March.  So far, so good.  I usually only have to use one pad a day.  Sometimes during the night I will leak or when I cough or blow my nose.

• Posted

Ken,

Do you use a light pad or a heavy duty one?   If I try to get through the day with Depends  heavy duty pads, I have to change to a new one every 45 to 60 minutes, so I can go through 8 or 10 in a day easily.

Glenn

• Posted

I use the Poise #5 absorbency pads and cut them in half.  They come 39 to a pack for about $12 at Walmart.  A pack will usually last me 6 to 7 weeks.
  • Posted

I meant "anesthetized" in line 4.    Wish we had an edit function!

• Posted

I had the AUS implanted in May, activated in June. I got my life back! Had green light turp in 2012. Spinal cord damage in 2013. Aggravation ever since. Finally resolved. It works as advertised. Back to all normal activities.
    • Posted

I am really happy for you as I know all too well how awful it is to live 24x7 with pull ups or condom catheters and bags.  I'm glad it is working for you.

Could you tell me how long you had the catheter in after the AUS implant?  And where was it done?

Thanks,

Glenn

• Posted

Memory is slightly fuzzy, yet I believe the Cath was in about 10 days, till the post-op checkup. Procedure was done in Newburgh, N.Y. No pain or noticeable discomfort with use. Void every 3 hrs. No restrictions.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.