Amytriptyline and liver

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've been taking Amytriptyline 10mg for the past couple of months, when I can't sleep. I suffer from Anxiety and find it hard switch off. Can anyone tell me if it's toxic to the liver?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

The medication is not something you can take as and when needed. All the info I got was suggesting that you should take it regularly. But yes, I can definitely feel the impact it has on the stomach and liver- if I eat or drink something head to digest, I get heaetburbs and bloated stomach for days after (especially alcohol). So I need to ensure that I eat clean to avoid the pain
    • Posted

Thanks Marta, the reason why I try not to take them all the time is that I don't want to rely on them all the time. I got hooked on sleeping many years ago and I had a job getting off of them, so I'm a bit wary of the same thing happening. Thanks for your input, much appreciated.

• Posted

I do not want to stress you but it is a potent drug. I went on 10mg for IC flare.6mths really helped the pain but was under lot od stress and was not sufficient as an anti anxiety sleep helper...when  i went off  i suffered terrible heart palpations worse anxiety and whilst it helped the   ic it did not help my mental health.Think it s trial and error.

I agree it is not something to take every now and then and may be fine if your only problem is what it is prescribed for.I was not sleepin and it was not enough, plus was afraid to mix another drug with it. 

Not much of a help but just my experience.

I also suffered burning feeling through my abdomen...strange

• Posted

Hi Azalea, only just seen your post, thanks for your response. You had some nasty side effects on this drug, it obviously didn't suit your system. I've stopped using it because I'm not finding it that good as a sleep aid. I've read up quite a bit on this drug and have decided not to take it. I suffer greatly with anxiety, and my sleep suffers, feel so exhausted some days. 

• Posted

Addie

10mg of this medication is a very low dose, I cannot really see that it will cause to many problems.

I was taking 75mg for my Chronic Pain Condition and have been on them for many years, in fact I have reduced my dose, when I was assessing my condition because of my age, I now take 50mg.

I take quite a few medications Amytryptalene is only one of them and I do on occasions get an upset tummy. This medication is an AD and you should be ok.

When you look towards a concern regarding your medications look at the instruction sheet supplied with the drug. That will explain any problems you may have. As mentioned earlier your dose is small you should be ok. If you are concerned talk to your GP.

BOB

• Posted

Thanks Bob, I guess the dosage I'm on is quite low, so reassuring. As I said on the above post, I got addicted to sleeping pills many years ago and don't want to repeat that. I know some medications are not very liver friendly, so concerns me.

• Posted

Addie

We all need to understand with medications we need to ask ourselves is taking this medication worth any risks involved and if the minor concern you have is worth its taking, that is your decision if you need help with your sleep.

You should be ok, life is a risk, that is what makes it exiting. Do not worry, I have taken this med now for well over ten years

BOB

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.