An answer to How much will I need readers?

Posted , 8 users are following.

A big concern of mine pre surgery was how much I’d need readers. 

I can answer that for those of you who are presurgery and would like to know. 

My husband has Symfony and I have monovision IOLs. Presurgery I had monovision contacts and he had glasses- progressive lenses.

We both hardly need readers during the daytime unless it’s something like a medicine bottle but we find we need them more after dark. 

I do miss how before I could get a sliver out and use a tweezers and see to shave my legs and armpits with my bare eyes. ( I’d have needed magnification if I had my contacts in).

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Hi susan44499

Sounds like both you and your husband are enjoying good vision with glasses 90% of the time.

Would you know what your current prescription is post cataract surgery?  Also wondering what the diopter is between your eyes (dud you have monovision or mini monovision done)?

I have Symfony lenses and can pull a splinter out with tweezers (or eyebrows) without magnification. 

• Posted

Meant enjoying glasses free 90% of the time.  I think I have said before one can get good results regardless of lens selection.  No 2 people are alike and even if they were - preferences would still vary.  Enjoy your new cataract free vision!
  • Posted

I don't think one outcome can predict another. You really have so many variables (type of lens, other eye issues, and let's be honest -the skill of the surgeon). I don't need readers at all. I was doing 18 point counted cross stitch two days after surgery and used to have to use a set of readers and a stand magnifying glass. I know I'm truly fortunate, especially going in with crappy retina issues, but there are many others with the same outcome. Regardless, it sounds like you and your hubby are happy with your results...Congratulations!

• Posted

Which type of IOL did you get?

The drs won't say you'll never need glasses and mention how you may need reading glasses for very small print and/of nightime driving glasses. That you can't expect perfect vision but should have "functional" vision.

I know nothing about diopters.

I test J2 for near vision and 20/32 for far , though on the chart I can struggle to make out 20/25 and 20/20

• Posted

I have the Zeiss trifocal, but it's not available in the US. I'm a retiree in Mexico and just happened to luck out

After reading some of the postings on this website, it truly saddens me that there are quite a few docs who see the surgery as a "nice little earner" and try to cram in as many patients as possible. It's not going to give you perfect results, but you should be informed of exactly what's reasonable and what's not. And what's "functional" vision, anyway? What works for you may not be enough for me and vice versa.

I test 20/20 and better and J1. More importantly, everything on the charts are crisp and clear for the first time in years. I wasn't expecting results so amazing, especially with my crappy eyes, but I'm absolutely over the moon. The funniest thing is that one of the side effects is that I now cry when I cut onions. I actually have to wear my sunglasses for protection!.

• Posted

I have Symfony lenses and I still need to use readers a few things are alright but the strain on my eyes is terrible so I put on readers. Very disappointed. A lot of floaters and web looking things. Colors are not the true color not all colors but a lot so I know when I buy something I take a picture of it and look at the picture and you can see the real color.  
    • Posted

I am confused - it would still be your eyes seeing a photo or the real object.?

Cataracts made everything look a little tinted (yellowish Brown).  I didn’t even realize that until I had my first surgery.  Colours from newly operated eye were very bright.  Looked real to me compared to that brown tint from eye that hadn’t yet been operated on.

Often photographs (unless high end camera) aren’t accurate either.  Depends on lighting and quality of camera.

• Posted

Nope you can see what the color was when you bought it. I do it with everything. For some reason you can see the true color on a picture.  I bought a throw and it was the red shade I needed for that room.  When I look at it now it’s purple. I kboughtbtgst throw before the cataracts even we’re there. My cataracts were not bad I should have waited to replace the lens. I’m not the only one that has said that. I asked my daughter what color she’s sees and she said red. It’s all a bunch of hype   Can’t read close up the colors are distorted floaters all over the place and night driving is a joke.  So angry
    • Posted

I don’t have those issues with floaters or colour distortion but my cataracts needed surgery.  Was having difficulty seeing - especially driving and reading road signs / license plates so had no choice.  Other than the concentric circles around certain light sources my vision has greatly improved with Symfony lenses.
    • Posted

I find I’m can’t adjust to them either. I know their healed but they get so tired and I feel like my eyes are heavy.  My left eye was 2months ago and my right was 3 months ago. Did you find it hard to adjust to them or do I need more time
    • Posted

I was fortunate in that I could see well the day after my surgery.  I did have the feeling of something in my eye for a couple of weeks and kept using the artificial tears which did help.   I know everyone is different for a number of people the steroid drops made things worse and only felt better once those weeks were over.

Did you have traditional surgery or laser?

Were both your eyes targeted for same distance?  I don’t think I could have handled monovision or mini monovision well.  I do get migraines and having that set up may have aggravated that dondidnt want to take the chance.  As it turns out set for plano I can read well anyways.

Hope you do feel better with time Frances.   Have you gotten a written prescription yet?  Are you able to share that?  Might provide some clues.

• Posted

I never noticed a change in color after my surgeries.
    • Posted

Good to know.  For colours - the cataracts (unbeknownst to me were altered due to those turning everything a yellowish brown colour.  I was simply amazed at colours after first eye was implanted with Symfony.  I had 6 weeks to wait for 2nd surgery so I would compare the view from the 2 eyes.  I am really thinking some of the issues have nothing to do with lens itself.  Results are dependant on a number of other factors.
  • Posted

Yellowing of vision is not related to cataract,  just the normal change in the natural lens with age.

I had IOLs due to vitrectomy so my otherwise healthy lenses were removed in my early fifties and I was surprised how yellow things looked between surgeries with the un-operated eye.

Google "eye lens yellow age" for images and the first or one of the top ones will show lenses at various ages.  I do color sensitive work and over the years had wondered why my calibrated equipment still looked a little yellow on whites but now I know why.    Post surgery I had to reduce brightness on my screens and the whites looked so much better. 

Sadly our eyes deteriorate with age, but for anyone reading this and considering RLE I would still prefer to have retained my natural lenses a bit longer as in other respects they're far better.

• Posted

Totally agree - clear lens exchanges are something being pushed for profit but do not necessarily benefit the person at all.   Lenses have yet to be perfected to point where anyone should consider them. (except rare cases).  So it wasn’t my cataracts causing things to be yellowish?   I was young at 53 to have cataracts that progressed very quickly.  I had 6 weeks between surgeries so I too compared the differences.
    • Posted

Yep the natural lens gradually gets more yellow/brown over the years.  With an IOL you now see the colors that a young child sees!

Some people are used to having a yellow filter in their eyes thats why the Alcon brand puts a yellow filter in their IOLs to simulate a natural lens of about age 30 or so.

• Posted

I am fascinated by this - going to do some reading.  I did not know that eyes see colours different as one ages.  Thought it was due to cataracts.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.