An Experiment with Borax

Posted , 187 users are following.

So, I've been in Vietnam now for just over a month. Haven't had any itching, but the white plaque has expanded and looked like a bit more fusing had occured. Panic set in and of course I was trying not to. However, now that we're here, my husband has been able to start doing more research to help me. And he came across some stuff about borax. So we started an experiment 6 days ago. Not using any steroids, but instead each morning and night he's applying to one side a saturated borax solution and the other side a saturated baking soda solution (as we'd read that some people found baking soda helpful). We've been taking photos in order to compare as we progress. As mentioned, we are on day 6 and there is honestly some change! My clitoris which was quite white has returned to pink. And while the whole area still has some white, the pink is really starting to move in more. The biggest changes are on the side with the borax, with some change on the side with the baking soda (but since some of the borax can get rubbed off on that baking soda side we can't say for certain that the baking soda is having a major effect). We are feeling optimistic about this and I will keep everyone posted. During the day I do continue to add vitamin E oil to keep moisturized.

23 likes, 959 replies

959 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Alistar, 

Thank you so much for sharing this very hopeful treatment. Could you tell me what the consistency of your borax solution is?  Is it closer to a paste, or very thin like milk? Also, just to confirm, is the borax you are using sodium borate?

Anna

• Posted

Yes, sodium borate...definitely do not use boric acid nor boron. As for the consistency, it's still very, very water like. Just slowly add the borax and stir to disolve. Once it's disolve add more until you find some of the borax is starting to settle at the bottom without disolving. At that point the water and borax have become a saturated solution. My husband then just dipped a q-tip in the solution and applied it to the lichen, and we let it air dry. Twice a day. I was a tad nervous to try this as it meant stepping away from the steroids at a time when the lichen seemed to be progressing. But we did decide that if no improvement was shown after 2 weeks we'd stop. But half way in and there's definite signs of improvement, much more than when I use a steroid cream.
    • Posted

Great  news.  Thanks so much for sharing it!  Will look forward to your updates.
  • Edited

Just wanted to give an update: things are progressing pretty incredibly. I was feeling a bit of stinging the other day, right in the area where I have a bit of fusing. What we've come to discover is that the fusing appears to be coming apart! The pink has returned about 60-70%. We decided to stop using the baking soda as progress was at a standstill with it while the borax (sodium bicarbonate NOT boron nor boric acid) was making good progress. As mentioned we're treating once in the morning and again at night. We've been taking pictures at both times as well and the comparison between now and the start is quite dramatic.
    • Posted

This is so encouraging. I have clitoral and labial fusion. Do you ever apply the borax to the clitoris? I'm wondering if it would irritate it.
    • Edited

Hi Mel,

I've been doing the borax treatment (for a few months now) that Alistar has so kindly shared with us.  I apply it to the labia and clitoris with no irritation.  I also take baking soda baths every other day.  Yesterday I had a breakthrough that I wanted to share.  Half of my left labia minora was gone and I assumed worn away, but yesterday I saw that part of it is returning and had been fused.  What a wonderful discovery!

• Posted

That's wonderful news Anna! Thank you for sharing your progress. I am in the US and I believe borax is illegal here or at least not in stores. Do you happen to know where I can purchase some?
    • Posted

Ah never mind I just realized it's in the laundry supply section. Is that the same thing?
    • Posted

Anna are you in the UK or US? I can't find it in the UK. Thanks 
    • Posted

Wow! That is amazing news!!!! I am so happy for you! I really wish more people would discover this thread. Thank you for sharing this!
    • Posted

Yes it is. Borax, or sodium borate, is a rather versatile thing! I'd been using it to help clean my daughter's diapers for over a year, but then after some research my hubby did started using it to help combat my LS. As I've mentioned a few times here, be sure to take pictures right from the start of using it. It really helps you see how things are progressing.
    • Posted

Hi Mel,

I'm in the US too.  Yes, Borax in the laundry section is the same thing.  It is sodium borate, or also sodium tetraborate, and I think there is one more name that I can't remember right now.  Just make sure it's pure and doesn't have any other additives in it.

• Posted

Hi Samantha,

I'm in the US.  If you can't find it in the UK, try and do a search on-line for sodium borate.  You may have to order from amazon or somewhere.

• Posted

Thank YOU for sharing, Alistar!  I wanted to run around and celebrate and tell everyone the good news, but of course I can't.  Who wants to tell people about this very private and ridiculous condition?  So we keep our little victories to ourselves, and share them with the angels on this site. :-)
    • Posted

Unfortunately our wonderful EU have banned sodium borate/borax and it is not available in Europe any more. They sell a borax substitute which is made of sodium sesquicarbonate 😟
    • Posted

I'm wondering why it would be banned. Are there health risks to using this product?
    • Posted

Ugh, just fnished writing a response and it got deleted for some reason. Anyway, I feel like I read that people were using it in a way that wasn't good. Vague, I know. Didn't really pay attention since I'm from Canada and it's not banned there. I think people may have been injesting it. The reality is, we're seeing (at least in Canada) more and more naturalpathic remedies being pulled from our shelves. I'd see this as one of those items. As for adverse affects, as it's being applied topically, the concern would be in perhaps having a reaction, or sensitivity. I've not had that. But I'm not bathing in it. I've created a saturated solution that I'm applying with a cloth (originally started with a cotton swab). Any itchiness that's developed, for me, was fusing releasing.
    • Posted

I googled sodium borate and Europe ban and it states here that it is banned in the EU as its classified as a product that is either carcinogenic, mutagenic or toxic, strangely enough the site I first read this on was with a link on why it's been removed from cosmetic products. 

I guess to use it is personal choice, for me I don't have the choice as I can't purchase it in any case! 

• Posted

Hi Samantha, I'm in the UK and I ordered some on Ebay after trying everywhere to buy it locally, health food shops, pharmacies etc. It arrived from India, took about 2 weeks, and I've been using it ever since. It cost about £11 including postage for about 500g. Good luck.
    • Posted

I just replied to this question and my message was deleted.  I didn't include any links, and I didn't mention any products or companies.  It's distressing when a sincere conversation has been banned for unknown reasons.  I'd try to rephrase it but I'm afraid it would be blocked again.
    • Posted

Does your Borax treatment help with the itching.  That is the worse for me.  Also you are using the 100 mule Borax right? or whatever the name is.  lol
    • Posted

Hi there! To be honest, I have no idea about my Borax! I live in Vietnam now, and I buy it at a market. It comes in a big chunk that we have to smash down to a powder like consistency. Hopefully someone else can answer that part for you smile

As for the itch, for me, I did find it helped with that, it definitely went away. HOwever interestingly, after using the borax solution, when I did feel a bit of an itch (which didn't last long maybe an hour or a bit more) it was because some of the fusing I had was releasing and exposing fresh skin. 

• Posted

My experience as well - yet more fusing is disappearing. 
    • Posted

Hanny, I did find this site, are you using the saturated solution also? This is giving me a lot of peace! Thank you Hanny and all for being here and sharing your stories and successes!
    • Posted

Hi Joanne,  you're most welcome.

I have tried the saturated solution but it somehow was too strong for me.  Thus my putting a small amount in the bath and also with rinses after bath room visits. 

?My experience is also that LS wants to have 'variety'.  I alternate between baking soda and borax at present. 

• Posted

Hi bridge of sighs. I'm also having difficulties finding borax in uk. Please can u write down what you ordered From eBay. Thank you.xxx

• Edited

I've seen the unfusing described as  stinging or itching, but different to LS itching.      I've had a bit of unfusing. Whoo hoo!  And the itch was like when a would is healing and the nerves are regenerating.

do you think this is what might be happening...  Nerves firing again?

all thanks to Borax.     I definitely owe you and your husband a few drinks.  Xx

• Posted

Yayayaya! I am just so happy to hear that. Such amazing news. And yes, that's exactly how it felt for me too, like a wound was healing. Hahaha...my husband and I like drinks, wine especially wink If you ever find yourself in HoiAn Vietnam...or wherever we go next :D

• Posted

For the itching try alcohol free witch hazel, followed with 100% aloe vera gel or organic coconut oil.  I usually alternate between the two. It helps a lot.
    • Posted

I'm hearing these homeopathic items are being pulled because of big pharmaceutical pressure. You'll have to decide for yourselves.

¯\_(?)_/¯

• Posted

wow, this thread is so long, so much interest. I use heathunlocked for my thyroid issues another great place for forums. I have found 'borax' in the UK, via ebay, if anyone is still looking for supplies. thank you everyone for being so generous with your input. It really is the most bizarre affliction and not something I had ever heard of before. Certainly not something that is easily talked about but as it is not uncommon for people with thyroid issues ( Hashimoto's thyroiditis) to also have LS, I intend to spread the word around on the thyroid pages.

Best wishes to you all :-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.