An ongoing battle with chronic fatigue

Posted , 5 users are following.

In 2009 I got diagnosed with glandular fever, since then I have battled years of really poor health, recurrent infections and extreme tiredness which was diagnosed as chronic fatigue, alongside hypothyroidism, anaemia and endometriosis. Along with poor health I started my career as a registered nurse at the same time I fell ill and as an A personality type I pushed myself for years to excel and get to the top, until I got my dream job in a very busy intensive care unit. After years of shift work, long 12 hour shifts, night shifts almost weekly, the stress along with trying to keep fighting the chronic fatigue I reluctantly resigned from my job in January this year. I had another really bad relapse of my chronic fatigue which left me bed ridden for weeks on end and would get dizzy, breathless and heart palpitations every time I tried to get up, all my body wanted to do was sleep and my whole body ached. I had the surgery for endometriosis 3 weeks ago now- as my gynaecologist felt the severtiy of this condition  and the stress it was putting on my body every month was worsening my chronic fatigue. I feel like I am trapped in my body and this illness has robbed me of my health but also my career, my purpose in life, my fitness, my hobbies, my social life, putting a strain on my relationships, my fincial situation, my hapiness. I have been trying desperately to keep positve and focus on small steps at a time, but after years of battling this it really is taking it's toll on my body both physically and mentally. Does anyone have any advice on how to get through this illness? Any recomendations will be appreciated. Thanks kindly rolleyes

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

As someone who's had ME/CFS for years, I'm still learning how to cope. What really makes me feel worse and terribly sad is thinking about all the stuff I can no longer do. So I do my best to get into whatever it is that I can do. Like right now, I can post on this forum. I can get on my computer and watch all kinds of videos. I can listen to music and watch movies at home. I can read. I can eat. Believe me, this is a fraction of what I used to do. I was a very active person, like everyone else on this forum. I use meditation and mindfulness to help me cope with anxiety, and to help me catch myself when I start to go rogue—in other words, down that sad “if only” path. Some days I struggle to stay in the present. Other days it seems to come more naturally.
  • Posted

My good friend deals with ME and I've followed her path, my issues are FM and OA and I know my friend had to file for disability, we are in the US.

I know she takes 5000mcg Methylcobalmin B12, extra folate and dose detox for mercury issues, she convinced her major issue is mercury.

Wish there were some "easier" answers but everyone I know with this syndrome suffer too much....I know she takes desiccated thyroid support as do I.I need to go to bed so will talk more later..

• Posted

l started with chronic severe health probs following birth of my youngest son, c,s, l 33yrs, l,d many years of poor health, re pain, fatigue, asstd other symptoms, in that time l,d hysterectomy, gall bladder, several minor ops scopes, medications, was diagnosed with ic, ibs, allergies, much immune probs.  Treatment did help for quite a number of years, but now battling again. It is coping with the symtoms, but also mass restrictions on your life and lifestyle, it does affect in so many ways, its normal to feel frustration, anger, anxiety, depression, and agree with Jackie in its trying to overcome that and cope with a different lifestyle, l lived next door to an old lady who only had use in one hand, carers to do everything, she,d been simular a long time due to polio as a young person, l,d wave in she,d smile out, and l was amazed at her resilience, but it didnt make me feel content or grateful for not being that badly off, still got and still do have times of `why me`, as we also see and hear numerous others who are active and  go where they want  re career, travelling, sports, whatever they want are able  most of the time, as l,d love to travel, and loved walking miles, intimacy restricted also, all missed,  its a mental battle, like the saying God give me courage to change the things l can, and cope with what l cant, something like that, so its still trying all the advice on alternative,s, meds, that might help you, were all individuals who respond to different things. Some prescribed meds helped me, and some alternatives also  people do have improvement and can look back on bad times, medical science also advancing fast.  l guess your young which can make it more frustrating, l,m older now, but still think and hope lve time to improve and live a more active fullfilled life. Hang in there, and dont give up hope.
  • Posted

Your struggle is all too familiar. I'm 24 and was also diagnosed with Gladular Fever, which progressed into Chronic Fatigue Syndrome after I kept powering through nursing school and clinicals. I was so determined to keep moving towards my goals, despite having to literally drag myself out of bed every day. On top of that, I have Endometriosis which I'm having surgery for in a week (kind of nervous). 

Honestly, what has helped me every now and then is a good cry. It builds up, thinking about all of the things I used to be able to do. All the friends I miss and thigns I could/would be doing if I weren't bed ridden. But then I just unleash the floodgates and cry and yell and tell my health exactly how I feel about it at the moment. Then I find the motivation to keep moving towards wellness and the life I used to have (and will have again one day).

Keep going, lady. You will be well one day.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.