An Update

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hey all. Just wanted to offer some encouragement. I doubt that anyone will remember me but I had two surgeries to remove 7-8 fibroids in August of ‘16.  I had all types of fibroids, mostly intramural. I had a D and C  and then a laparoscopic myomechtomy. I almost had a breakdown before my surgeries. I was crying to the point of dry heeving, snapping at my family, and just basically scared that I was going to die. I found this group and I think I spazzed out on here as well. 

I’m happy to report that I am fibroid free at almost the 1.5 year mark. I got the results of my ultra sound last week. I didn’t realize how bad my periods had gotten until after the surgery. I was coming on twice a month and had unpredictable cycles. Today my cycle comes once a month and lasts 4-5 days. My “heavy” days have all but disappeared.  

Please don’t be scared to have the surgery. The worst thing for me was the trapped gas in my body and anesthesia. For some reason it took me a couple of months to completely lose the groggy feeling. Otherwise, two days post surgery I was walking up and down my road. 

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Where did you have your surgery? 

Glad to hear that you are doing so well - I understand completely about the near breakdown.

• Posted

But my doc says you cannot have a intra mural fibroid removed through surgery....that you need to undergo a hysterectomy.
    • Posted

You need a second opinion. Let me post what I had.

With transabdominal imaging, uterus appears anteverted and measures 12.9 

x 6.6 x 9 cm. No adnexal mass or free pelvic fluid identified. Right 

ovary is only visualized with 

I had a laparoscopic myomectomy and I still have my uterus. 

With transvaginal imaging, the endometrium measures 9 mm in thickness. 

Intramural fibroid within the anterior fundus measures 5.7 x 4.7 x 4.8 cm 

compared with 4 x 3.5 x 4.6 cm on prior study.

Intramural fibroid within the posterior body measures 4.9 x 3.9 x 5.6 cm 

compared with 5 x 4 x 5.9 cm on the prior study.

Partially exophytic fibroid arising from the left uterine body measures 

4.3 x 3.1 x 3.2 cm compared with 3.4 x 2.8 x 2.9 cm on the prior study.

• Posted

Thanks Amber. Just had an ultrasound..It states bulky uterus with anterior wall fibroid and thickened endometrial measuring 9mm.The radiologist confirmed what you had written about myomectomy. Both my doctors had concluded that I needed to go ahead with a hysterectomy.

Shall look out for a doc who can perform the same.

Once again thanks a million....It was heartening to read your msg.

• Posted

Susy I’m glad that I could help. Anyone whose first instinct is to tell you that you need a hysterectomy because of the type of fibroids that you have isn’t being honest. My bestie’s fibroids were so bad that the doctor had to do an open myomechtomy and lift her uterus into his hand to get the tumor that was directly behind it. She now has a son who is two months old. She wants to try for another child in a couple of years. 

My doctor mentioned a hysterectomy but quickly said “Since you don’t want that and want to have children we won’t even discuss that.” She repaired my uterus but told me I would always have to have a cesarean to deliver. 

I don’t know where you are located but if you are anywhere near Baltimore, MD I would highly suggest Johns Hopkins. The care that I got was first rate. I would also recommend getting a female gyn if you don’t already have one. Me, my mom, aunts, and cousins live by that rule. Male gyns ALWAYS want you to get a hysterectomy. ALWAYS. Run from them!

Good luck! Hugs

• Posted

Hi susy am really sorry to say that your doctor does not have a clue of fibroids and if I were you I will run for my dear life. I won't say go for a 2nd opinion because you don't even have a legit 1st opinion. I had 8 intramural fibroids surgical removed ranging from 3 cm to 12cm..... I had 3 large ones 10cm,11cm and 12cm. With the largest at the neck of my cervix which was a major challenge as i was at risk of bleeding during op. My doc did an excellent job and I have my womb intact. This was the best decision I made... PS.... HE was a handsome looking gynecologist.... I give all the glory to God

• Posted

Had my surgery done 7th November 17
    • Posted

Hi Helen, hope you are all, I saw a few of your posts, have you had your surgery yet? If you are on facebook, join some groups, you may find easier a doctor. There is a group called Endometriosis, fibroids and ovarian cysts treatment and they have an international list with doctors names. All the best, 

• Posted

Susy, where do you live? You need a proper opinion girl, your doctor really know 0 about fibroids and surgery. If you are in UK, ask for a 2nd opinion referral from the GP. Your fibroid can be removed via keyhole maybe. 
    • Posted

And I have just one intramural fibroid of 5cm.😓

• Posted

Hi Amber,

This kind of post is really important, so thanks for sharing. It's very helpful to hear the successes of other fibroid sufferers. I am having a myomectomy in 2 weeks time, and feeling nervous. But mostly just looking forward to these fibroids being gone: they are stopping me from doing most of my normal activities- currently I'm at home as the pain is too bad to go in (despite two co-codamols...). Hoping to remain fibroid free and to have a relatively easy recovery. Sending lots of positive thoughts to other sufferers.

All the best,

teaandbiccy, Glasgow.

• Posted

teaandbiccy,

My thoughts are with you. The anticipation is the worst part. I’m not going to lie. After your surgery you are going to feel like you’ve been hit by a bus but the turnaround isn’t too bad. Be kind to yourself. During your recovery take the time to enjoy the peace. It’s a chance to hit the reset button on your health, relationships with other people, and any goals you have in life. I’m not trying to sound all new agey and stuff but I feel like I’m a new person. 

Again, just be kind to yourself. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.