An update: concerned about a slip and health impact

Posted , 7 users are following.

Well, people felt |I was doing well and I'll say thai iwas doing OK,

But, an emotional  trigger sent me a into a tail-spin last weekand I drank far too much.  It was only for two days, but was a serious binge, and I am concerned that it has caused (hopefully temporary) health issues: in particular, serious 'toilet' issues and widespead body aches in the arms and legs (not numbness at all, but quite the reverse: bone and musclle pain.

I have not had a drink at all for three days, but the 'toliet' issues are still there to an extent, and so are the pains and aches.

I realkise that excessive (any?) alcohol often irritates the bowel, but what about widespread pains and aches?  I thought that it was numbness and weakness that was a sign, and not after a two day binge?  Any thoughts?

I knew that my drinking was getting out of control at times this year, and that's why I kncoked the serious stuff (and spirtits and most wine on the head for twomonths until last week, reverting largely to beer and cider with good food and vitamin intake).  I'm being honest about my intake, but maybe I should just be honest with myself and admit that I can't/shouldn't drink at all for a prolonged period?

Incidentally, the UK Government has now introduced guidelines that say that both men and women shouldn't drink any more than 14 UK units per week, with at least two alcohol-free days per week.  Is this really likely to be successful?  I really don't know any drinking who only drinks 14 units per week - that's hardly six pints (less if it's strong lager/ale.  How likely is such a health message likely to be if it is unrealistic, which I believe it is?

Hopefully my pains and aches will improve and are not due to alcohol intake or withdrawal.

By the way, still not managed to get Acomprosate, Naltrexon or Naalfeleme prescribed, despite engaging with Addictions services and psychiatry.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

hi gav....to me this sounds like dehydration...simple dehydration....I can't express how important water is....Not only have I been told that numerous times by my Dr...but my b/f has an 89 year old Mom and most of her issues...

Pain, dizziness...are two of her utmost complaints...drink...drink...drink.

WATER

• Posted

Hmm. I wonder what the price of a daytrip to Calis is as a foot passenger? 
  • Posted

Well, my drinking has returned to more normal levels again, but the trouble is that I think I have crossed the line and need help to seriously reduce or stop.

My GP told me he only knows about Antabuse (which I won't take, it's just too dangerous) and Acomprosate, which seems to have troublesome side-efffects.

Can I ask one of the experts who know about these things: if Acomprosate is to encourage abstinence/reduce cravings, how is it different from Selincro or Naltrexone?   Are they not just alll about doing the same thing: gettting the person who takes the medication off alcohol or dramaticaly reducing their consumption?

Many thanks. 

• Posted

Gav, from what I understand, Acamprosate is to be used while abstinent, while Naltrexone works best if you drink on it. Acamprosate takes a couple of weeks to kick in and it kills your drinking triggers. Doesn't do you any good at all if you drink over it. Did the alcohol service just point you back to your doctor? 

• Posted

I went to see someone from the Addictions' service on 18 October and because I was doing well, more positive, looked and (I think) came across well, he said he didn't think he needed to see me again.  But I am due to see a consultant psychiatrist this coming Monday and will be totally honest with her.  My only other appointment is with a locally-based charity, who have limited resources and no prescription authority.  The last time I saw my GP, he said he couldn't (or maybe he meant wouldn't) prescribe any of the anti-cravings drugs - it had to be done by the Addictions' service.  The Addictions' serbvice then told me that was not the case - he could prescribe all of them apart from Naltrexone (these are Northern Ireland guidelines).  The reliance on alcohol is simply despairing and I'm sure it is now damaging my physical as well as mental health (though I look perfectly well and regained all the weight I had lost when malnourished, etc, in June).

• Posted

Acromponsate (Campral)...did only take a couple days for me to notice that I wasn't craving alcohol. I hope you can go to the Addictions service...and get this drug it really works well.  Maybe not the same for everyone but it is definetly worth a try.

• Posted

Hopefully the psychiatrist will be able to help with the process. Please let us know how this goes! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.