Anaemia again?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I'm 35, have 5 children, the youngest is 2. In April this year I suddenly felt ill one evening, like I was suddenly weak dizzy shaky and out of it. It was the worst feeling I ever experienced. I went doctors the next day and they did bloods. In the meantime I was still feeling absolutely awful. I was told I was anaemic and my iron level is 7. I started taking ferrous fumerate 2 tablets a day. I started getting a little better slowly but still had the odd shaky and horrendous feeling. Then in July it all got worse, I even developed hypoglycaemia whic scared the living daylights out Of me so I went back to the doctors. They said I'm low in b12 and also vitamin d. Started supplements and b12 injections. Ever since then I haven't been the same. Shakiness is there all the time so I started taking magnesium because I read you should take it if on high dose vitamin d. I never go out like I used to as everytime I go out and want to go back home after about 15 minutes, I get a swaying feeling and break out in a sweat and overall weak feeling. It's horrendous. I feel pressure in my head at times like a buzzing. 

They told my I don't need iron tablets anymore so stopped them about a month ago. Could I be anaemic again? I also have twitches/spasms in my knees and calves which make me wonder what's going on there! 

I'm just so frustrated, I'm not myself anymore 😟

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

so sorry to hear about what you are going through - it sounds really unpleasant.

firstly, depending on how low your vitamin D level was, it can take at least 3 months for the positive effects of supplementation to appear, which may explain the spasms in your knees and calves - those were some of the places where i had 'twinges'  when my vit D was low.

i don't know how long it takes for vitamin B12 supplementation to take effect.

when you next see your doctor, it would be worth discussing whether there is any underlying problem that could be causing these low blood values.

How is your diet? do you think that could be improved somehow?

wishing you all the best.

• Posted

Thank you so much for replying. I've tried to improve my diet, but I could be doing a lot better. 

I called the doctor and they've told me to come in for blood tests next week. 

In a way, I'd rather it be a anaemia so the horrible swaying off balance feeling can go away once the iron stores are back to normal? 😕

• Posted

yes, i know what you mean! But there are different types of anaemia and some are harder to daignose than others. so it is a good sign that the doctor is calling you back in for blood tests. at least you are not being fobbed off.

about your diet, it might be worth asking your GP if there is someone that you could talk to, to discuss ways to improve things.

hope you have a good weekend.

• Posted

How are you doing? I hope better I do think maybe some of her twitches could've been coming from the anemia.. When I had low iron in the beginning of being diagnosed I had the restless leg syndrome.  The iron greatly improved this, I just continue to take my iron because every time I stop it got low again. Good luck.
  • Posted

Hey Mumof5

Just wondering how are you feeling? Did you find the cause of your swaying feeling?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.