Anaemia low iron and chronic disease.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all, if anyone with RA has low HB iron like me, mine is around 12 to 13 and the iron store is 37, I've been doing some reading about anaemia and chronic disease, apparently it's your own bodies reaction to inflammation that lowers the level, basically it's a defence mechanism to starve a pathogen or invader or cancer cells of iron, the store locks iron in only releasing enough into the system this enough is usually lower than normal depending on inflammation levels, excess iron taken is captured and locked in the Store which can be dangerous if the store gets too high.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Thanks for that information, Martin.   It's amazing what the body can do but obviously it makes mistakes at times as in autoimmune diseases.   Are you tolerating the iron pills better?  Hopefully so.   I am on the biologic Cimzia and is really helping to control pain and progression of RA but always worried about potential very serious side effects.   So far so good

• Posted

Hi that's great biological is working, I took the iron ferrous fumarate capsules for a week, bad cramping bloating and constipation, so went back to GP now on the liquid form of iron it might be less problematic, I'm on Benepali biological and it works great.

• Posted

Hiya ...i have ra ..my iron level runs constantly at 9-10 ..but I've never been explained things ..just get slung iron tablets..so thankyou for the information 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.