Anaemic??

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had bloods done a few months ago but was told the results were normal?

This month i seem more tired, sleeping much more than i use to... something is not right somewhere but they are saying its normal

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

What blood tests did you have done?
    • Posted

Ah okay. Maybe ask what they checked and levels. I'm not anaemic (checked through FBC) but I have low ferritin (iron stores) although they still class them as normal (16) but its the very low end and its been making me feel quite poorly. I had to ask for iron tablets from the doctor.
  • Posted

numbers can change within that  time. I was having labs drawn every 3 months. In march everything was a bit on the low side but nothing to be concerned with,  by june my hemaglobin was very low and my dr wanted me to have an iron infusion. I was leaving in 2 days for vacation so I convinced my hematologist that I would take the iron 3 times daily and we could retest when I got back.  she tested every 2 weeks to make sure my numbers were rising and by the end of 6 weeks my hemaglobin was within a normal level. I've had problems with anemia for close to 8 years and every time my iron levels and/or ferritin levels dropped I've had a completely different symptom but if you feel like something isn't right then you should tell your dr.
    • Posted

Yes so true - my ferritn dropped from 28 to 16 in 7 weeks! Due to heavy periods but still can change quickly
    • Posted

Thank you i will ring and get te results again if they are low as i suspect they could be i will ask my GP to sort out.

I have a feeling though that i am only low when on my period as i feel worse than ever. I have felt rough since sunday and im so tired now and it is only 4.45pm i am never like this!

• Posted

Ive felt terrible for months. Always worse when on my period...
    • Posted

oh no hope you feel better soon.

I am at my wits end with this months agony, im sitting here with horrid cramps and just want to go home. I could happily fall asleep....

Will book another GP Appointment and see what they say when i ask for them to check again. any suggestions to when to get tested?

• Posted

Maybe just after your period? Do you have heavy periods?
    • Posted

Sound bad. Mine are horrendous, after 12 months its taken its toll on my body and started to deplete my iron stores :-( Make sure you get tested again and ask for ferritin to be done as well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.