Anaesthetic and ME

Posted , 7 users are following.

Its official, my shoulder op has become reality. Went to clinic yesterday and have been listed for May (on hols end of April, so chose to wait)

I have got pre-op clinic 2nd April but what do I say about the ME?

The orthopod said it could delay my recovery (he didn't tut or anything when i mentioned it) but what shall i say to the gas man?

Any one know how anaesthetic specifically affects us? Any print out sheets (aimed at Alicia/Oracle!) :lol:

The other snag is i need a responsible adult to collect me after surgery..

anyone know one?! :shock:

Dale xxx

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Dale, I hope the news of getting a date at last is a relief for you :? :D

I can't comment on the official view about anaesthetics but I do know that when I had one last year I was zonked for 48 hours afterwards. I was sent home the same day and all I can remember was a couple of visits to the bathroom and hubby supplying me with drinks :?

Oh dear, I don't know where you can find a sensible adult though :roll:

• Posted

There should be an agency supplying sensible adults :lol: (mind you, I'd rather have a not-so-sensible one )

All I know Dale, is that it can take longer to recover from an anesthetic if you have ME; get yourself lots of ready-meals so you don't have to do anything for a while :zzz:

(We're being told to ask a surgeon online NOW so maybe that's the answer!)

At least you've got a date now - better than all that waiting :ok:

• Posted

Dale, that's good news about your date for surgery. I think it will take you longer to get over the anaesthetic. At least you've got time to prepare. :roll:

As for the sensible adult, you'd be better off with Ally, she sounds quite sensible :lol:

• Posted

Dale, I do wish I lived nearer to you as I consider myself as being the most sensible adult on this forum ... and I would love to help out if I could :D

Would your mum or maybe your sister be available?

At least you have got a date for the op though. As the others have said we all know that our post anaesthetic recovery can be a little delayed but I would think that it depends very much on the individual. I should imagine that you will need to go for a pre-op assessment just before the actual thing and maybe you can have a word or two then. Anaesthetists today must be aware of ME related problems surely :?

Will have a read up in some of my books and see if I can find anything of note :ok:

• Posted

Dale sorry dont know anything about anisthetics and ME being a newbie but hope all goes well for you
  • Posted

hi dale, glad you've got a date... im really sorry though - i cant remember exactly what is the prob with your shoulder :oops: is it arthiritis?

im so sorry, i have a terrible memory at the best of times and since having CFS/ME my brain's well and truly turned in to cheese.... sad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.