Anaesthetic panic!

Posted , 17 users are following.

I am having TKR tomorrow morning and have spent the last week stressing over the anaesthetic. The hospital heavily encourage spinal but I can choose full anaesthetic. I can't bare the thought of any risk of hearing anything!!!! I can choose full anaesthetic but they give the impression the pain is much harder to vitriol after. Is this true or is it a cost cutting exercise on their behalf? I've almost forgotten about the surgery as so consumed worrying about the anaesthetic!!! Advice please?

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Mandy,

I had a spinal, but asked the anesthesiologist if he would give me something so that I wouldn't hear anything that was going on. He said "I can do that!" and I didn't hear a thing! And I had no nausea or issues post surgery......good luck, and keep us posted on how you're doing.

Diane 

• Posted

I am having my total knee revision in 1 month and not decided yet, i had a femor block last time and really helped, but i was also asleep, good luck
  • Posted

Thanks for all the advice ! I'm all checked in. I've agreed to a spinal on the promise that I won't hear anything. I told him if he is wrong I will hunt him down and gut him like a fish ! Ha ha!

• Posted

You`ve done it now Mandy - let us know how you went on.

For others - this must be a major decision, because it is new and strange - how on earth can you `choose`.    I worried over the choice but in the end followed `best advice` from the anaesthetist. Spinal block.    It was dead easy, no need for all the previous worry.   Surgery was like being back in the workshop !  I was talking to my surgeon as he worked and listened in to everything - for me it gave back an element of control as I knew just what was happening.

Recovery was very easy with none of the risks attached to a `General` - and I had my tea and toast pretty quick.  That`s what I call a result !

• Posted

Hi Tony, after a talk to the anaesthetist he promised I would seep through the whole thing and not hear anything. He was true to his word and it was good. Just got home today. I've a long road ahead of me but I will get there!falling asleep now so will chat later. Xxx

• Posted

So glad surgery is over and all went well. Long rid of recovery shed but meds ice rest and patience will get you there
    • Posted

Thanks Cathy 😀. It all feels impossible right now but I know it isn't- it will get better each day 😀. Just had meds so off to sleep! Xxx

• Posted

Good night it is good you can sleep, rest while you can, and it will get better

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.