Anal abscess

Posted , 6 users are following.

Think I have an anal fistula after emergency surgery for perianal abscess. How many people have had surgery and what is your experience of the whole ordeal? Never talked about and not easy to talk about with friends. Is surgery as horrendous as it's made out to be? incontinence etc? Report this

? 0

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I have the same thing. Peri anal abscess drained 2 times and it kept filling up the doctors says its because I have a fistula. I haven't gotten surgery to fix it because the colorectal surgeon I spoke to told me they generally don't have a good success rate, I would need to go through a series of procedures to find one that would work for me. So instead of spending thousands of dollars and having multiple incisions to the same area, I decided to live with it. I've had it for a little over a year now. I work full time and have a normal social life. Getting multiple surgeries would hold me back, so unless it becomes unbearable, I'm trying to just deal with it.

• Posted

I just had my surgery or fistulectomy done on Feb 15. A large chunk of tissue the size of golf ball was cut out. The doctor said it is a low single tract fistula, he removed part of internal sphincter muscle but not the  external sphincter muscle which may otherwise cause incontinence. I felt no pain the two nights in the hospital as the anesthetic was still there i think. I had to take pain killer (and antibiotic) to manage the pain for the first week, especially when I have to poop. Usually I try to keep the poop to once a day and do it only in the morning. I would then shower and go to the clinic to have the wound cleaned, packed and dressed everyday.  After that , the discomfort is manageable. My doctor said said I only need to get wound dressed for 7 days and that I could have do KmnO4 sitz bath after pooping but I go to the clinic anyway. It is now 3 weeks passed, the wound has not completely healed but getting better. There is some discomfort to have a gauge pad between my butt.... seems that it take at least 5 to 6 week to heal....

I think you should check with your surgeon how complex your fistula is as a first step.... I had mine for 2 years before I decide to bite the bullet....

• Posted

Tulip78- I too have/had a fistula after emergency draining of an abscess.  I went in for what my surgeon thought would be a simple fistulotomy in December but it was  higher and cut through more muscle when he got in there so he inserted a draining Seton.  That was a bummer to wake up to!  But I was back to my normal routine two days later, exercising, etc. and it really wasn’t that bad to six weeks I had it.  On Monday, I had the LIFT procedure and it actually hasn’t been as bad as I thought it would be.  Pain was pretty bad the first 12 hours home but after that I didn’t need any more pain pills.  I’m still resting for the most part but started doing carpool for my kids again and cooked dinner last night.   Pain has been managed with extra strength Tylenol the past two days.  

If you think you have a fistula, I would recommend seing a highly rated colorectal surgeon to see your treatment options.  I am hopeful that the LIFT will take care of mine!

• Posted

Hi. In Nov last year i felt something tear after BM. It was uncomfortable for few days and finally I had severe pain and had to go to emergency.I had a big swelling limited to left side. It was very hard lump. ER docs didn't know what it was. They thought maybe internal haemorrohoid. Just prescribed antibiotics to me and asked me to see my primary care physician. My physician just wanted me to finish antibiotics before he sees me. Pain was bad.My perinium area was painful and it prevented me form using even restroom. Only Sitz bath helped.

I felt my physician didn't aggresively treat me. When I viisted him he didn't even see the swelling. Only asked me if my pain was less and I said yes.

I raed a lot of forums and online articles. Came to the conclusion it was perineal abscess. Swelling was becoming smaller and softer.

I took Sitz bath with plain epsom salt couple of times

Completely changed my diet.No more sugar.

Fiber and stool softners helped a lot.

Made suppositories with tumeric powder and coconut oil.

Ate tumeric with curcumin 2 times a day.

Arnica 30x 2 tabs twice a day

Silicea 4 tabs under tongue 3 times a day

Plenty of water

Whole juice with spinach, raddish, tumeric black pepper carrots, half apple, i orange,kale and mixed berries.

My abscess drained . It felt so better.

However around Christmas swelling returned. I went to physician and told him i have abscess ,please drain it.Pus was oozing so he drained it is office.

There was another peanut size swelling plus two external haemorrohoids that caused discomfort.

Use corticosteroid, witch hazel, ice it didn't help.

I continued to read more . Something clicked when I came across chronic haemorrohoid article. It is sometimed related to anal fissure. I was examining external haeomorrohoid and felt a deep fissure on anterior wall . It made perfect sense now. I feel because of the tear and anal fissure i developed perineal abscess.

I am continuing with sitz bath and above regimen . Applying neosporin on fissure has helped. My perineal swelling is healing. I feel anal fissure was constant source of bacteria and never letting my abscess heal.

Finally, I feel a lot better.

I am also applying 2% tincture oidine diluted with castor oil on fissure. It is healing beautifully.

I am also going to have pelvic MRI soon to ensure there is no fistula.

Also, made an appointment with one of the best colorectal surgeon.She will see me in couple of weeks.

These 4 months were terrible, I am very healthy otherwise.

If i can be of any help please let me know.

I feel support group is very important!!

• Posted

I’m so glad to have come across your post. I’m in absolute agony and I can’t express the pain. I was diagnosed with Crohn’s 2 years ago and since then I’ve been reading like mad. 

I applied the Turmeric and coconut oil for a short while. I also usedcastor oil and it did ease symptoms. 

I developed two external haemorrhoids and can’t seem to get rid of them. I’m trying to stay on top of symptoms but it isn’t easy as I have a large family and a full time job. 

I’ve just called my gp as I was crying with pain last night and this morning I pressed the lump in the anal area and I’m sure some puss came out. I think itsan abscess so on my way to the Doctor. 

I’m trying not to get too upset but I just feel like crying. I feel so alone with this pain and the symptoms that no one can see. Anyone looking at me probably thinks I’m fine but I feel awful. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.