Anal Fissure Botox and Enemas

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello all,

I just wanted to share my experience with Botox for my Anal fissure.

I had the procedure done on Aug. 11th. I was told by the surgeon that I should be in better shape in a week after the procedure. First day coming home I didn't have any pain. I drank my stool softeners, pain medications, i was prescribed Tremedol, ate some whole grain oatmeal with fruit drank water and went to bed.

Next day I still had no pain, just some minor discomfort. Still ate alot of fiber, drank my stool softeners, lots of water, no pain meds because I felt I didnt need it, and I had no BM.

Next morning I felt some more pain, drank some pain meds, still ate very light and finally had the urge to go. I went and was constipated. I felt I wasn't finished going but I was told not to strain so I just stopped and waited.

Next day pain was worse and finally had the urge to go again, and so I went and again, constipated and painful and, I wasn't done going. Later that day had the urge to go again and i was in alot pain, by this time I'm crying because it hurt so bad so i tried again. This time I strained (even though i wasn't supposed to) and I felt everything finally empty out of my stomach. I had had called the doctors office when I was constipated and they told me it could have been from the anesthesia.

Next day it was easier to go and has less pain so I felt hopeful.

Next day, constipated again. Still ate alot of fiber, I'm talking fiber cereal, vegetable soup, salads, fruit, a ton of water still using stool softeners and Miralax, and I'm still constipated??? I was so upset and despfessed and I stayed that way for another 3 days, pain, tears, screaming in agony and in pain all day for the next couple days because my stools were just not soft enough to pass. I also felt swollen down there and I thought maybe the swelling is causing this pain and constipation. Finally my sister came over and she suggested an enema. I was scared to do it, but I later thought, well I'm already in alot of pain, what's else can this do but put me through the same pain I'm already in. So I did it.

So it was a little difficult to do it, I had to be very careful with inserting it, and when I went the stool was easier to pass, and I felt so much better. It hurt but so much less than before and I wasn't much pain afterwards. It was like immediate relief.

I've been doing Enemas for the past 3 days and I got to say the pain reduced. Its not completely gone but it is much less than how it was.

I'm still keeping the fiber, stool softeners, laxative and all that stuff I consume every day but the enemas have made the difference.

I have a follow up appointment on Tuesday and i will for sure mention it to the surgeon.

By the way, the surgeon also suggested sitz baths every 2 hours which I've been doing to. However, instead of soothing me, I find it to be more painful to my fissure. It stings pretty bad. Has anyone had that experience too?

Would appreciate knowing about you, your experience if it was similar or if you're considering Botox treatment, I would like to hear about it.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi I'm 12 days after Botox and in more pain than before 

How are you now

• Posted

Hello Nixon1927, my pain went away as long as I was able to keep my stools soft. It took a good while to do what worked for me. I kept up with my sitz baths (every 2 hours) keeping the area clean, I used an herbal ointment that helps cure wounds and Desitin around the area and inside so when I passed a bowel, no moister would touch or infect the wound. I also used something called anecream, which is a numbing lidocaine cream and an antibacterial cream. As for my food I kept did an all fiber diet, took stool softeners, Miralax, prune juice and flax seed, prunes after every meal, coconut oil after every meal and one sip of megnesuem citrate. That worked for me. Metamucil did not work for me. It bulks stool which is what I didnt need but it works for some people, I don't know.

However, it's been a little over a month since my Botox and the regimen has been very intense. I developed a painful skin tag. It was very painful and it would bleed.

I went back to the doctor and this time I went to another more experienced doctor. He told me I need to have it removed, and he said that he would do a rectal exam and see if the fissure healed, if it did, good, if not a Sphincterotomy is called for.

Well, today was this surgery. He removed the skin tag, and he did the sphincteotomoy as well as hemorrhoid removal. I'm not in pain now because of the anesthasia in my system and some strong pain killers, but I know I'll be in pain later. But the reassurance I have is that it was taken care of.

A month in with the botox didn't work for me. But I don't want you to think that it won't work for you. Everyone is different. My problem was the skin tag. But I think that once the botox wore off, I would have been in pain again and I just can't afford that. I've been suffering since end of June with this problem and I'm so very over it.

Do what works for you. Keep your stools soft. Keep the area clean. Use non scented baby wipes to wipe yourself. Keep up with your sitz baths. I used coconut oil (pure virgin organic) and would rub it all around the area and inside before a bowel movement to help things slide. Take your pain meds with no codine! That will constipate and hurt you! I take Ibuprofen and I was prescribed Tremedol. I know it's light but your worst off taking the strong narcotics.

Good luck fellow sufferer. There is a light at the end of the tunnel you just have to do what will work for you. And if that means surgery or something invasive, so be it as long as your rid of it for good.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

• Posted

Thank you.  I wish you a speedy recovery from your procedure.

I had the internal hemaroids banded and Botox for the fissure--they did not deal with the external hemaroids and I think this is where pain is coming from also the fissure.

I can feel a hard mass in my butt cheek which I assume is the frozen muscle from Botox injection.   GP gave me anusol yesterday and although still sore it is sore rather than agony!!!

• Posted

Thank you! And I'm sorry about what you're going through also. Ya keep it nice and clean and if you can find something that helps with inflammation use it. I used to use heating pads to relax the muscle and cold packs for swelling, you can alternate those whenever you're uncomfortable. And you know, i think I called my doctors office every day and went there alot after the botox procedure. I mean, if I'm not completely fixed and other problems are arising I'm going to keep bugging. Finally after taking to the nurses and being in tears because of this, they set me up with another doctor who was more of a "take care of it now" kind of doctor. So stay on top of it with your doctor and talk to them about your concerns. It's better to take care of issues before it gets worse and then it gets more invasive to treat.

Good luck to you and I wish you all the best in your recovery as well!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.